1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Are Rev9 Coilover worth it ???

Posted by xv_dsm, Sep 13, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. xv_dsm

xv_dsm Probationary Member

Joined Sep 3, 2019
    North Charleston, South Carolina
    I've been looking at the forums here about budget coilovers and which are good for road racing. I've narrowed my search down to Megans or Rev9 but I couldn't find any forum on Rev9 Coilovers. If anybody has or had Rev9 coilover can you tell me how they are? And if others have any other suggestion on other option I can use that actually would be better. I don't mind spending money just nothing that'll put me in debt.

Street Build 65  2

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Archer Fabrications likes this.
  3. Archer Fabrications

Archer Fabrications Supporting Vendor

Joined May 9, 2011
    Scottsdale, Arizona

386  7

2006 Evo 9 MR
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution
  4. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    If your serious about buying a good suspension, don't buy Megan's or rev 9.

5. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Performance wise Rev9 & Megan are crap. Best reasonable priced coil overs I recommend would be 1) DG Koni setup, 2) Feals. Top of the line is K&W's.

6. TehRiceBandit

TehRiceBandit Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2013
    Bay Area, California
    Just curious... why would anyone get the DG setup over Feals, when Feal offers a coaxial top hat? The DG setup isn't a full coilover setup because height adjustment isn't independent of preload.

Street Build 223  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My opinion Koni is a better damper. DG setup uses coaxial spring loading. I don't believe Feal 441 is coaxial unless they've changed this recently. Also 2G's don't truly have a preload geometry.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  8. Cherry

Cherry Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2019
    Hull, Georgia
    I have Rev9 on a 1g and I can say they arent that great. They function, but they dont ride that well and if you do get them it would be best to take out all of the preload if there is any to begin with. They are really stiff so any bumps, bridge transitions or anything else is a nightmare.

Street Build 226  3

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. TehRiceBandit

TehRiceBandit Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2013
    Bay Area, California
    The fronts are coaxial. Could you explain the preload geometry?

Street Build 223  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Supporting VIP

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    Don't waste your money, you are not truly ready for Coilovers until you are ready to drop some coin..

11. xv_dsm

xv_dsm Probationary Member

Joined Sep 3, 2019
    North Charleston, South Carolina
    I willing to spend the extra cash in order to have good suspension because I wanna do em right 1 time and 1 time only. So dg koni are good in my opinion and now since you guys suggested me others I feel as if I had misinterpreted some of the other post about coilovers. Cause my uncle has tein coilovers on his and he says they ride well for what he paid for.

Street Build 65  2

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. tunernewb92

tunernewb92 Proven Member

Joined Sep 10, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Due to the unique Audi-like double ball joint suspension design, our cars need a spherical bearing built into the top hat of the spring mount. If you want to keep a good ride and have high-quality performance as others have said this limits you to the custom DG Konis listed above /// FEALS /// BC BR coilovers. The absolute best option is the ones above followed really close by FEALS. If you want more information on why you can read here: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross/konis.html

Street Build 297  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  13. Archer Fabrications

Archer Fabrications Supporting Vendor

Joined May 9, 2011
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I still got my DG koni’s for sale if op or anyone else needs. DG stands for “Dennis grant” the designer of the custom coil setup using koni shocks. Link above

386  7

2006 Evo 9 MR
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution
    ChessmoDSM likes this.