The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Anyway of telling the difference between 90 and 91+ gears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegs98911

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2002
York, Pennsylvania
I have searched multiple forums including here and I can not find any information on this. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to tell the difference between the 90 manual transmission gears and 91+ manual transmission.

I have been helping friends do simple rebuilds on transmissions and I have accumulated many different transmission gear sets from this. Right now I am trying to get a 91+ 1G transmission together for a friend. I have a box of transmission gears and I can’t figure out how to tell the difference between the 90 and the 91+ gears. I had them separated at one time, but moving to a new house changed that. I know the helical cut is different between the two, but I don’t have a way to measure the angle of the cut to tell. I know I have (3) 90 sets and only (1) 91+ set, so odds are I am going to get a 90 gear.

The gears are not on there respective shafting either, so trying to mesh the gear sets is not possible anymore. I know there is a line in each gear, but I can not determine if this will give me any information on the gear type. If anyone has any information it would be of great help.

I am assuming since the ratio’s are different between 1G and 2G I can figure out that difference with calipers, but if that is wrong please let me know. I still don't know what to even try to do for 1G gears since the ratios are the same. I am hoping to get all the gears sorted today so I can determine if I can get one good set out of everything I have.

Contact this guy.

twicks69

He knows vast amounts of information about trannys. I don't think he's on right now but I'm sure he'll eventually find this thread!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back