1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Airbox: should I or should I not

Posted by GST Kidd, Sep 29, 2009

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. GST Kidd

GST Kidd Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2009
    Pearlington, Mississippi
    I have a 1997 GST Spyder all stock except for the BCS mod and dump tube mod. Ive been playing with the idea of taking the MASS unit and flipping it upside down and mounting it back up. This will eliminate the bottom of the box and have the top part of the box upside down with the filter sitting on top with a rubber band to secure the filter to the housing. Do you h=guys think there will be any negatives to this?

2. RoryBarron

RoryBarron Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2009
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    The only negative would be it will look trashy... Better to buy a cone filter and get rid of the stock air box completely :thumb:

324  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  3. knochgoon24

knochgoon24 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 29, 2008
    Troy, Michigan
    I actually did this exact thing, but I used zip-ties instead of a rubber band. It was the 2nd "modification" I did to my car, right after the eBay Type-S BOV, and just before the tin can, catch can. :rolleyes:
    It wasn't a strong start to modifying cars. I've since learned. (We were all newbs once.)

resized_0810081443a.jpg
    (Not sure why I had the coolant bottle out.)

I really don't remember it helping too much. I ended up just buying an ebay intake pipe, then I made a box out of aluminum sheeting to keep the air temps down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

2K  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    manual · 1G DSM

2K  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    automatic · 2G DSM

2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.869 @ 95.090 · 2G DSM
  4. 907gs-t

907gs-t Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2009
    Juneau, Alaska
    Just buy the K&N fipk & junk the stock air box.

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    11.899 @ 126.000 · 2G DSM
  5. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2003
    glorious Galt, California
    Better, $30 of clone of eBay.

It'll sound faster. It won't be.

3K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM