1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Air Fuel Ratio / MAFT tunig

Posted by mxer24, Jun 17, 2008

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. mxer24

mxer24 Probationary Member

Joined Feb 22, 2006
    old bridge, New Jersey
    alright guys, this is one a first things i am wondering about my newly acquired gvr4.

it has a a/f gauge that unfortunately has no numerical values on it, just lights that tell me if it is running rich /lean. This brings my first question, the way it sits now, at idle it is showing a red light (lean), and when on the gas , shows green ( rich). Now is this correct? At idle should it be registering lean?

sorry if this has been discussed before, i was just searching for hours on google and dsmtalk and here with no avail.

Thanks for all your help

271  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  2. JayRolla

JayRolla Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2006
    Colorado Spring, Colorado
    That guage you have is use less. Get rid of it and buy a wbo2 guage. You can actually use this to tune with. What settings is the maf-t on right now?

991  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. playitlouddsm

playitlouddsm Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2004
    Lawrence, Kansas
    The gauge you have right now is just a little light show.

4. mxer24

mxer24 Probationary Member

Joined Feb 22, 2006
    old bridge, New Jersey
    that's what i figured. those lights are annoying as hell. I was looking at the AEM UEGO... any other suggestions?

i'm not meaning to jump threads, but what is the setup needed to run blow through? I'm pretty sure i have it, such as the GM MAF and the MAFT, but what else is required. I'm seeing low MPG and stalling sometimes. and i'm wondering if the blowthrough setup could be off?

thanks for the reply's guys!

271  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  5. 1992awdlaser

1992awdlaser Proven Member

Joined Dec 5, 2004
    Wallace, North Carolina
    To run a blow through setup all you need is the maft and gm maf. The AEM eugo is a good wideband, I have one. The car should be stoich (around 14.7:1) at idle and cruise. At full throttle on pump gas I like to be around 11.0:1.

6. 1gdsmracer

1gdsmracer Probationary Member

Joined May 30, 2008
    holt, Missouri
    i use the maft pro set up with the speed density conversion and i love it. you can vent your bov and you can ajust tons of setting.

7. dsmmatt28

dsmmatt28 Proven Member

Joined Nov 24, 2007
    Arlingotn, Texas
    +1 get rid of it. USELESS

454  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. wannarace

wannarace Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2002
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Those "Light show" gauges don't react fast enough anyways. By the time it shows your wayyyy lean... oooops, too late.

Where exactly did you stick the MAF for the blowthrough. Between blowoff and TB? It either needs a better tune with those 660's or you have a boost leak after the sensor. I'm gonna go with the tuning on this one cause I had a crap load of problems with mine. No problems with stock injectors untill I swapped for 550's. Brought on a mess of problems.

I am using the PLX wideband setup and it works great. I couldn't tell you about the AEM.

331  0

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.900 @ 96.000 · 1G DSM
  9. Joshuah Stedman

Joshuah Stedman Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2009
    Canal Winchester, Ohio
    those gauges are FTL. That is correct but never rely on those, esp for tuning...
    the ONLY thing those are good for is seeing if your 02 sensor is dead or on the way out..(no voltage, high voltage, etc)

10. Maranello993

Maranello993 Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2007
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    The Plx wideband o2 is great, it self calibrates and can be hooked up to log. I decided to go with the plx over the AEM, but the AEM uego is popular also, you can't go wrong between those 2. Right now you have a narrowband setup, and like everyone said, they are no more than a light show.

325  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM