The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

A Good Torque Convertor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOEY A

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2006
Chitown, Illinois
So im hearing all convertors are junk now, and the good one is longer made

Precision 1G is no longer made and they won't consider bringing it back.

Level Ten has a billet 10" for $1300 for the 1G's:rolleyes:, Precision's was $670 from Fullthrottlespeed when they were making it.

If your turbo is a 50 trim or smaller you might like the restalls from IPT. If you have a bigger turbo with a T4 exhaust housing IMO, forget it.

Precision 1G is no longer made and they won't consider bringing it back.

Level Ten has a billet 10" for $1300 for the 1G's:rolleyes:, Precision's was $670 from Fullthrottlespeed when they were making it.

If your turbo is a 50 trim or smaller you might like the restalls from IPT. If you have a bigger turbo with a T4 exhaust housing IMO, forget it.

Uhg if this is True I'm switching to Manual. It seams everything is harder with an Auto. Getting really frustrated. The stock converter will barely build boost on my 50 trim. If i decide to bump up to the 60-1 then i need to buy a 1300 dollar converter to spool it. Jesus.
It seams like the Auto is more hassle than it is worth. :notgood:

My best friend has IPT's $475 "custom high-stall converter" and IPT's $2975 full auto tranny in his '98 GSX. It spooled his Greddy 18G AWESOME! But... on his new PTE SCM6152RE, he can't build shit for boost. He has to lay on the brake and gas forever and by the time he builds any decent boost at the line, his brakes are so hot that he rolls through the lights and red lights...

My best friend has IPT's $475 "custom high-stall converter" and IPT's $2975 full auto tranny in his '98 GSX. It spooled his Greddy 18G AWESOME! But... on his new PTE SCM6152RE, he can't build shit for boost. He has to lay on the brake and gas forever and by the time he builds any decent boost at the line, his brakes are so hot that he rolls through the lights and red lights...

Ya. I'm to the point where i'm going to Manual. Better setup for much cheaper.

Uhg if this is True I'm switching to Manual. It seams everything is harder with an Auto. Getting really frustrated. The stock converter will barely build boost on my 50 trim. If i decide to bump up to the 60-1 then i need to buy a 1300 dollar converter to spool it. Jesus.
It seams like the Auto is more hassle than it is worth. :notgood:

For a daily driven street car maybe. However, a small shot of nitrous will solve your problems.

Manuals have their own problems that are just as bad if not worse. Traction problems, wheel-hop, bad shifting. etc. People pay $1100-1300 for twin disc clutches I don't see why people have so much trouble justifying paying for a good converter. You gotta pay to play either way you go. Autos are cheaper to build and maintain, by far.

I guess I'm just getting pissed that people with a similar set up as me are running in the 12's and I can't get this thing to launch at all. Could I benefit from a little Anti-Lag and maybe setting up a stutter?

I guess the good thing is that we won't be breaking parts from hard launches with the lag we have to deal with:)

"Level Ten has a billet 10" for $1300 for the 1G's, Precision's was $670"

That too me is just not right and these places know we are stuck so you get a converter that retails for $1500 for only $200 off. I'm all for paying to play too but if buying a converter for $1300 and a trans with ZERO billet parts for $2900 is fair, then you guys don't own other fast cars.

I had a company in the works but they were very reluctant because of auto DSM's reputation of being cheap and bailed on the baddest non locker out there. I do have a 1G 10" company for $600 but that's a lot for a non billet cover converter IMO and it's a custom converter that has yet to be on a car.

That too me is just not right and these places know we are stuck so you get a converter that retails for $1500 for only $200 off. I'm all for paying to play too but if buying a converter for $1300 and a trans with ZERO billet parts for $2900 is fair, then you guys don't own other fast cars.

I had a company in the works but they were very reluctant because of auto DSM's reputation of being cheap and bailed on the baddest non locker out there. I do have a 1G 10" company for $600 but that's a lot for a non billet cover converter IMO and it's a custom converter that has yet to be on a car.

$600 seems fine for a custom stall to me as long as it works better than the restalls. Maybe you should shop around for manual trans upgrades before bashing auto parts prices. Look at all the stage 3 and 4 etc, trannies, twin discs, etc. It ain't cheap. If you know what you're doing you can build a auto to hold 800whp for practically nothing. I dunno why you're so hung up on the billet stuff... if it works, it works, bottom line.

If level 10 had a descent reputation, I'd be all over it....

How bout some details on the 1G 10" company for $600 ?

I don't want to go into why you can't compare manuals and autos but we pay more than we should. Billet's help with ballooning, another benefit aside from weight and the fact it's R&D from a new piece of aluminum.

Try Florida Torque Converter - Home

Ask him to go into his specs for the 1G that used a different Eclipse converter ( 10" ), he found a 10" that has the same teeth, spline count etc for us with the correct bolt pattern. Since it's a 10" you don't need to bend the crap out of the stator to get it to stall and then the top end will be more efficient.

I'm probably not going this route anymore so tell me how it works out.

what about a 2.4 motor? wouldn't that help spoolup

Florida wanted $550 I think, haven't called him back as I'm going 2G since a friend did it with a killer stock shift box.

Has anyone tryed ACE torque converters according to the web site I found they offer a custom converter built on the info you give them for $425 and they list an AWD and FWD covverter for an eclipse here's the link I found
ACE convertors

Has anyone tryed ACE torque converters according to the web site I found they offer a custom converter built on the info you give them for $425 and they list an AWD and FWD covverter for an eclipse here's the link I found
ACE convertors

anyone use these guys? im intrested in getting one

FWIW, Ace Converters is really Edge Converters.

Edge Converters = Customers blowing up stators and getting screwed around for 4 months without a refund and no option other than getting it back, 4 months later. Ask around the big block forums about them, I wouldn't risk it and the one guy I talked too knew 3 others who also broke the stators and got screwed around with.

FWIW, Ace Converters is really Edge Converters.

Edge Converters = Customers blowing up stators and getting screwed around for 4 months without a refund and no option other than getting it back, 4 months later. Ask around the big block forums about them, I wouldn't risk it and the one guy I talked too knew 3 others who also broke the stators and got screwed around with.

I fit 3 pins in the stator/sprag joint to make it hang in there. Weakest link solved.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Cheers !

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back