The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

96 eclipse spyder gst problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volksvr6gti

Probationary Member
Aug 14, 2008
jacksonville, Florida
ok so my girlfriend has had this car for quite sometime now and really did not keep up on the maintance. so im trying to help her out and get it fixed back up and in good running condition. some issues, oil leaks, coolant leaks, and the engine just feels like it is not delevering 200 HP at all. pretty sure the turbo is shot as i rarely hear it spool, the car has 181k on it, so that right there is enough indication to me that the t25 needs replacing. so question is with that t25 shot, will it really cause the car to have barely hany HP. its acceleration such, i can hold the gas pedal to the floor in all gears and it will barely pull. I mean it will drive normal, but feels like im driving a 3 cyc geo bc its lagging power. any help on this is appreciated

turbo cars do need a lot of maintenance. Im sure that T25 is shot since it has 181xxx miles and you said the car had oil leaks. What I would do is reaplace the turbo and fix your oil and coolant leaks, then check, "or replace if bad", spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, air filter,pcv valve, etc... when you get the new turbo in make sure to check for boost leaks, that could be another problem why you might be loosing power also make sure your "BOV" blow off valve isnt leaking either. Im not saying its gonna pull like crazy but it should run a hell of a lot better and pull better. good luck

def, i think this weekend i will get up under the car and try to pinpoint what all is leaking. i want to also assume that its time for a new head gasket too. do you happen to know where a good write up for this is? i have been looking around and found Club DSM, and VFAQ Site - Visual Frequently Answered Questions but cant seem to find the write up. As for finding the new t25, you think thats the best way to go? I am new to the whole DSM side as i am a vw guy myself, but def can appreciate the dsm guys....crap i highly doubt my vw will make it to 181k LOL. anywho i seen that the t28 is a direct bolt on too, should i got that way or am i looking at buying a whole slew of additional parts. the care has a turboback exhaust and short runner intake and greddy bov already. any ways if you know a good place to pick up a good t25 or if the t28 will be a direct bolt on no additional requirements and you know where i can pick one of these up that would be cool

if she hasnt kept up on the mantinence on the car i would deffinatly look into a new timing belt b4 your paying for new vavles too:thumb:
yes most def plan on doing this. i did find a write up on doing this and i am going to do it at the same time as doing the head gasket :) anyone have a diy to the headgasket?

You could use a T25 again but they are not that greatest, most people dont really like them so they ugrade to the 16G. The T28 is similar to the 16G except the T28 is a direct bolt on and the 16G would need a kit to fit the 2Gen. You can even rebuild the T25 you have if you buy the rebuild kit but they are a little pricey in my opinion. T28's are expensive, but it would sure give you a lot more power than that T25, I just odered a T28 for my car since my T25 doesnt produce the power im looking for, so im exicied to see how my car is gonna run with that. Its your decision on what turbo you want to use, I know a kid who has a T25 in good shape for $50. He was gonna use it in his VW Golf but never did now he just has that it in his garage sittin around. So if you want that let me know, he lives near me...
As icekilla126 was saying, it would be a great Idea to change the head gasket and timing belt. Go on DSMTalk.com, it might help u out with the write up your lookin for. Any problems just ask Ill try to help you out as much as I can.

Start with a boost leak test, this is going to be the biggest performance adder/subtracter around. It is completely pointless to just slap a new turbo on without knowing that you can run without severe leaks, you won't make any more power and you can put a lot of premature wear on the new turbo by overboosting. Switching to a t28 will offer you a lot more potential (once the other maintenance is done) but it will take some other parts. If you keep the boost low then you don't need anything but you also wont see a lot of extra power, once you add injectors, an mbc, a real boost gage, and something to tune it with you can start having some real fun.

def, i will do the boost leak test first i found a shop around town that I will have do it for me

As far as I know it was rebuild and came off a 2GEN talon. I never looked at it he just told me about it. He wanted $75 for it at first but then I talked him down to $50. If your interested let me know so you dont have to buy a rebuild kit or different turbo for it. Like I said before Its your decision on what turbo you want to use in that car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back