The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

1G 93 TSI sensor fault codes and no connection with data cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Element21302

Probationary Member
24
7
Jul 22, 2018
Minnesota
I have a 93 TSI that has been sitting for a few years in the yard. It has a 6 bolt swap and it was originally automatic but has been changed to manual. When I got the car someone had mounted a 6 bolt engine and the auto trans was sitting on the passenger floor. I did a full drivetrain swap with someone to convert the car to manual.

First thing i did was check the ECU and replace the capacitors. There we also a few traces that I had to repair as well.

The check engine light shows up for about 5 seconds when the key is turned on and the boost gauge goes to 0. So it seems as if the ECU boots up just fine. I am able to get a heartbeat from the ECU as well. Although, I am not getting any sensor readings when I connect the data cable and ground pin 10 on the ALDL connector. I have verified that ECU pin 2 is going from 5v to ground when ALDL pin 10 is grounded.

The car is able to start and idle when the MAF is disconnected. Car struggles and dies when connected. I have verified the MAF connector is receiving 12v on pin 3 and 5v on pin 4. MAF pin 6 has ground to chassis. (about 38 ohms)

After the car idles for a minute I am able to retrieve a few codes. Obviously, airflow sensor, air intake temp, coolant temp, baro sensor, and sometimes TPS. Leading me to believe a sensor ground issue with the ECU. MAF sensors all have continuity to their respective ECU pins. ECU pins 17, 24, 101, and 106 all have continuity. I have also tested some of the traces on the ECU and everything has checked out so far.

Seems like it may be within the ECU. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
 

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
The only suggestion I can make is check every trace where there was corrosion for connectivity end to end. I'd start around C19 where the MPU ADC voltage reference is and the MPU pins around it.

Did you fix the ISC trace that runs under C106?
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

  • For sale 91-96 Auto DSM 300M Upgraded T-Case (USED)
    one of spares , brace is not included. Buyer covers shipping / fee.
    • The_Partout_Spot
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • Wanted PASSENGER DOOR LOWER MOLDING
    WANTED
    • LA_gst
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g 2g 1999 eclipse gs-t spyder
    Very clean 2g spyder, only modifications is 14b turbo with 3inch exhaust. Well maintained and...
    • DSM B
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g 1996 Talon TSI AWD
    1996 Talon TSI AWD $10,500*** PENDING PICK UP ***- 90,421 miles ( will go up a little ) -...
    • jersygsx
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g 2g power window motors. OEM
    RH and LH power window motors. OEM $40 each or $70 for the pair. Message 702-741-6987.
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top