The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

'92 TSI Complete Rebuild From Firewall Forward - Part 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calan

DSM Wiseman
Jan 16, 2007
OKC, Oklahoma
It's been a few months, so I guess I need to get this thing updated. Now...Where was I?

I didn't get much accomplished over the holidays, other than finishing up the engine bay cleaning and getting the first coat of paint on. After taking a break for a couple of months, I caught a few warm days in early March and finished painting the bay. I used Duplicolor Low Gloss Black, with Gloss Black and Gunmetal for a few accents.

I didn't go crazy with prepping it; just very thorough cleaning, and some light filling and sanding here and there. Once I had everything taped off, I built a make-shift paint booth out of painter's plastic draped around the car and got after it.

Although the pictures don't do it justice, it actually came out pretty nice I think. (It's really hard to get a crappy camera to represent black very well for some reason).

View attachment 753 View attachment 754 View attachment 661

A couple weeks ago I decided it was finally time to start putting it all back together. First to go on were the custom firewall brackets, AFPR, and boost sensors. I then temporarily mounted the battery, and started routing and wrapping the lower passenger-side wiring harness.

View attachment 662 View attachment 663

I also replaced the brake booster, and both brake and clutch master cylinders, and got all the brake lines reconnected.

View attachment 664

Next it was on to rebuilding the front wiring harnesses and hooking up the WAI system. The pump mounts to 4 nuts that I welded to the back of the front clip, and uses the washer reservoir as a tank. The reservoir has a float switch installed, which is wired to an LED indicator in the car.

I ran the WAI feed line through a grommet in the front clip, behind the washer bottle and out along the inner fender, and then into the bay under the brake booster. It will be pretty much unseen except for where it comes off the firewall and into the throttle body elbow. (see the green circled area in the pictures below)

View attachment 672 View attachment 666 View attachment 667

Next was the alternator area of the harness, and on over to the passenger-side headlight bay and fuse block. I removed all the old wire loom and tape, and cleaned/inspected all the wires. Everything was then wrapped back up with fresh nylon loom and Scotch Super 33 tape.

View attachment 668 View attachment 669 View attachment 671

Once the harness was rebuilt, I attached it to the frame with new clips and re-mounted the fuse block. The harness will run underneath my custom radiator overflow tank and CAI.

View attachment 670

On a side note, I got all the parts to the machine shop so they could get started on my block. I ended up going with a 2.3l stroker, with Wiseco slugs and Eagle rods/crank. I'll probably be using my stock head with 272 cams, and will be refreshing it with new valves and springs as the funds allow.

In the next part I'll be fitting a new radiator I bought last fall, and figuring out how to get my FMIC to sit where I want.

Stay tuned!

I have been trying to find quarts of high temp engine paint but am having little luck finding anything locally. Do you happen to remember how many cans of paint it took to do the front clip?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back