The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

6Bolt 650HP BUILD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearhead4G63

10+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
I'm starting this thread simply for the fact I want you guys to know what I'm doing step for step. And to get opinions if you may have them. This is not my first build, but this is my highest goal build. I've owned 2 DSMs before this and both were 7bolts. I will post as I go and update as the build progresses. Keep in mind this build is starting from scratch. The block is now at the shop and when I have more time I will post what's being done to it but here's a few pictures of the block. Also opinions on rod and pistons? I'm using the stock 6bolt crank, it's 1000hp capable. Update I promised earlier, 6bolt is getting decked, bored .020 over, and line honed for the 6 bolt crank. Crank will be refinished. 6bolt oil mod. Will also be having him throw in some new bearings not sure what I'm going with yet. Maybe some ACLs. I'm also ordering a kiggly main girdle. BLOCK LIST: Std 6bolt crank, Manley H beams, Wiseco Piston heads w/ rings, BSE, kiggly main girdle Feel free to give me your opinions! I'm solely focusing on the block build at the moment, then I will move to the head intake mani,exhaust mani, turbo, etc I'm super exited about this build!! dde04

Attachments

• image-598417570.jpg
    image-598417570.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 195
  • image-1736577953.jpg
    image-1736577953.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 177
  • image-569651275.jpg
    image-569651275.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 160
  • image-580241220.jpg
    image-580241220.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Well your certainly not short any blocks or heads for this project. Will it be a stroker motor or will you be spinning the 2.0 crank. What turbo will you be running also, looks good can't wait for updates. Always intrigued in motor builds :D .

Don't know how I missed that in first post, looks like nice setup.

Well your certainly not short any blocks or heads for this project. Will it be a stroker motor or will you be spinning the 2.0 crank. What turbo will you be running also, looks good can't wait for updates. Always intrigued in motor builds :D . Don't know how I missed that in first post, looks like nice setup.
I'm spinning the 2.0 for now. It's all I need for this build. And I think ima run a holset hx40 6blade I'm still doing my research on turbos I own a big garret t 28 but that's no where in the ballpark of what I need for my goal. Any opinion or preference on turbo?

Update: block is at Dale Morss's shop aka: (bogusSVO) so I know I'm getting great work done. Should be seeing the block back in a month or so then I will continue with the updates. This 6bolt is going to be a beast.

Head plans.
New valves
Titanium springs
New rocker arms
New lifters
272 or 280 cams

None of this is set in stone not sure what brand I'm going with on anything yet, I'm still doing research, the head I want 1000hp capable. Opinions wanted!! Anybody out there that has 1000hp capable head want to share your upgrade list with me?

Update: Made a decision on the 6-Bolt block.

I decided what my internals will be: and is being assembled at Dale's shop.

Wiseco 1400HD pistons + Rings
Manley Turbo Tuff rods
ARP main studs
Stock 6-Bolt crank
King Main bearings
Stock mains
Kiggly main girdle, for higher RPM stability.

Attachments

• image-3569855239.jpg
    image-3569855239.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,065
  • image-3418060119.jpg
    image-3418060119.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,053
  • image-106417082.jpg
    image-106417082.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image-426132829.jpg
    image-426132829.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,077
  • image-2460819175.jpg
    image-2460819175.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,050
Update!!! Got some pictures on the progress of the block. It's slow going. The following pics in order are. BSE bearing flip, Oil mod, Arps used in the line hone, mains after line hone, bore .020 over, 85.5mm with torque plate, and decked!!! Waiting on pistons so it can be honed for tolerances.

Attachments

• image-919885135.jpg
    image-919885135.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image-671862686.jpg
    image-671862686.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 159
  • image-1841478832.jpg
    image-1841478832.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3240450566.jpg
    image-3240450566.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image-2042722975.jpg
    image-2042722975.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 129
  • image-339245412.jpg
    image-339245412.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 132
Ok so update, haven't had much chance to get more work on the block, will continue to update as the 6bolt build progresses. But I however do have some exciting news!!! I bought another spyder which will be the spyder I drop this 6bolt in!! I found the car in dallas with only 70k miles on it, I have the maintenance history paper work on this car dated all the way back to 98!!! The one owner who bought it he took great care of the car!! Interior is in amazing condition the car itself is just "wow" the engine bay looks brand new the cleanest I've ever seen a stock bay, btw the car is completely stock!! Which is what I was looking for!! Never been modded or dogged, it was owned by an old guy who drove it to church on the weekends, it was kept in a garage!!! As you can tell I'm super excited about it!! Subscribe!! I'll post some bay pics tomorrow!! So you can see how awesome this find is!!!

Attachments

• image-32203786.jpg
    image-32203786.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3361945953.jpg
    image-3361945953.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 138
  • image-1287895537.jpg
    image-1287895537.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2219530443.jpg
    image-2219530443.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 142
That black paint is just SEXY, damn nice find bro! Keep us updated.
And fwiw, i think when you get that engine in and you put down 500hp or more you are going to be going awd quick. I spent no time or money setting my car up to launch but it would roast the tires even in 3rd. That was roughly 450-500whp just a guess off my airflow. It wasnt much fun. But, there are plenty of guys who have some sick fwds out there and they CAN and do launch successfully. Its all in the setup and boost control. Best of luck to you and thanks for another build thread. Cant wait to start mine

Nice purchase on the Spyder!! Looks as if it was well taken care of.

Thanks man and it was I couldn't be happier on the find!!

That black paint is just SEXY, damn nice find bro! Keep us updated. And fwiw, i think when you get that engine in and you put down 500hp or more you are going to be going awd quick. I spent no time or money setting my car up to launch but it would roast the tires even in 3rd. That was roughly 450-500whp just a guess off my airflow. It wasnt much fun. But, there are plenty of guys who have some sick fwds out there and they CAN and do launch successfully. Its all in the setup and boost control. Best of luck to you and thanks for another build thread. Cant wait to start mine

Thanks man and yeah eventually I will go AWD. I working on finding a donor car now, may just do the engine swap and AWD conversion at the same time no sure yet depends how the hunt goes.

Nice Project!! Hope you get 600HP!!! + some!!!whats the plan on Head Build?

Black spyders are tits :) Looks clean, good luck with build sir!

Update: block is at Dale Morss's shop aka: (bogusSVO) so I know I'm getting great work done. Should be seeing the block back in a month or so then I will continue with the updates. This 6bolt is going to be a beast.

Head plans.
New valves
Titanium springs
New rocker arms
New lifters
272 or 280 cams

None of this is set in stone not sure what brand I'm going with on anything yet, I'm still doing research, the head I want 1000hp capable. Opinions wanted!! Anybody out there that has 1000hp capable head want to share your upgrade list with me?

If you want 1000hp capable flow out of the head I would go with:

Kiggly HLA regulator
Kiggly Beehive valve spring, titanium retainers
280 cams for sure
Bronze Valve Guides
Valves of your choice

Are your rockers in bad shape, id just give them a really good cleaning.

Have you already purchased your rods? If not also consider Carrillo and R&R H-Beam rods. They are around the same price, but much lighter and are 800+ hp capable. Plus then you don't have to worry about machining the block to clear the manley turbo tuff rods.

Good luck with the build!!

Mi"sma;153424543 said:
If you want 1000hp capable flow out of the head I would go with:

Kiggly HLA regulator
Kiggly Beehive valve spring, titanium retainers
280 cams for sure
Bronze Valve Guides
Valves of your choice

Are your rockers in bad shape, id just give them a really good cleaning.

Have you already purchased your rods? If not also consider Carrillo and R&R H-Beam rods. They are around the same price, but much lighter and are 800+ hp capable. Plus then you don't have to worry about machining the block to clear the manley turbo tuff rods.

Good luck with the build!!

A stock unmolested 1G head can physically flow 1000whp worth of air.. it's what combination of pressure and rpm you intend to supply it with that matters for deciding the rest of the bits you're going to put in it or hang off it.

A stock unmolested 1G head can physically flow 1000whp worth of air.. it's what combination of pressure and rpm you intend to supply it with that matters for deciding the rest of the bits you're going to put in it or hang off it.

You're saying that a stock unmolested 1g head can be last to 1000hp, or more specifically can supply a car with enough air to make 1000hp? I may be misunderstanding you, but that's a pretty bold fact for a 1g head.

And say it could do such things, wouldn't it make sense that a modified head in most cases may be more efficient?

You're saying that a stock unmolested 1g head can be last to 1000hp, or more specifically can supply a car with enough air to make 1000hp? I may be misunderstanding you, but that's a pretty bold fact for a 1g head.

And say it could do such things, wouldn't it make sense that a modified head in most cases may be more efficient?

Correct.

As far as modified heads go, good luck finding someone who can quantify how much more "efficient" they've made it. There's no reason a factory 2G/7 bolt head could not handle the requisite mass flow either, merely that the discussion was about this particular head.

The heads themselves are not a restriction.. especially when you are jamming a very dense charge from 40-60psi boost down it's throat. This is the same reason a member here had made 816whp on a Stock 1G intake manifold. They have plenty of cross section to physically permit the air mass needed

Unless yours is the victim of some serious core shifting.. cleaning up casting flash and blending into the bowls will get you there if your fuel is stable, have enough turbo with a cam/manifold combo that compliment each other.

This is really not revolutionary new thinking.

Correct.

As far as modified heads go, good luck finding someone who can quantify how much more "efficient" they've made it. There's no reason a factory 2G/7 bolt head could not handle the requisite mass flow either, merely that the discussion was about this particular head.

The heads themselves are not a restriction.. especially when you are jamming a very dense charge from 40-60psi boost down it's throat. This is the same reason a member here had made 816whp on a Stock 1G intake manifold. They have plenty of cross section to physically permit the air mass needed

Unless yours is the victim of some serious core shifting.. cleaning up casting flash and blending into the bowls will get you there if your fuel is stable, have enough turbo with a cam/manifold combo that compliment each other.

This is really not revolutionary new thinking.

Now i feel stupid, ROFL.

I need to read more meticulously. I thought your response was in regard to the internal modifications of the head. Not the head itself. But then I read the comment and realized he mentioned flow, but then listed internal components. Which had me backwards.

Unless I'm still confused.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back