The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

6-Bolt block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catbox_95

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2004
Conroe, Texas
Does anyone know where I can get a good 6-bolt block for a 2g? I want to little by little build a nice motor, so are there aftermarker high-performance blocks available?

A 6-bolt block is a 6-bolt block. The only differences are between N/T and Turbo. The N/Ts don't have oil squirters in them. You don't really need them, some of the high HP guys block them off to get higher oil PSI. Check the classifieds and on trader..there are always good buys there. I've seen them for around $75-250. I picked mine up for $200 as a complete shortblock and ripped it apart. If you are planning on building up a N/T block, check your local junkyard...there are about 4 or 5 around here.

Thanks man. You answered my next question before I even got a chance to ask it. I was wondering if there is a difference between 1g and 2g blocks, but now I see that there isn't. I was searching DSMTuners classifieds for someone who is selling one in Texas, but haven't found anyone yet.

Catbox_95 said:
Thanks man. You answered my next question before I even got a chance to ask it. I was wondering if there is a difference between 1g and 2g blocks, but now I see that there isn't. I was searching DSMTuners classifieds for someone who is selling one in Texas, but haven't found anyone yet.

Ummmmmmmmm.

a 6 bolt motor is a 90-early 92 motor, late 92-94 is a 7 bolt, and the 2G motor is another 7 bolt, there's a difference between any 1G and any 2G motor

i think about some life extension for my GST engine

and read a lot stuff about this 6bolt engine but has anyone this rebuild engine running every day?

Is there any way I could just look and tell if the block is a 6 or 7 bolt, because I am looking at a '92 Talon TSi AWD and i was just wondering if there was a code on the block or somthing like that. Thanks

on the driver side of the oil pan, it bumps outward for 6 bolt, inward for 7 bolt.

Sk8er07999 said:
How much are you looking to spend? www.ffwdconnection.com has some sick long blocks. They also sell "1g in a 2g" kits with instructions i believe. There is also a good article with pictures of the "1g in a 2g" swap at www.vfaq.com

Yea, the link to that is down sadly...Magnus is undergoing a website change.

Those 1g in a 2g kits are over-rated and way overpriced. You can piece together your own for sooo much less. They are kind of like the 2g install kit for mitsu turbos. 2-300 for a j pipe, a stainless oil line, and some washers???

Yea sorry, there are differences between 1g and 2g. I thought you were asking differences between 6-bolt blocks.

venomx said:
i think about some life extension for my GST engine

and read a lot stuff about this 6bolt engine but has anyone this rebuild engine running every day?

Yes, there are plenty of people that have daily drivers with 6-bolts in them. If your 7-bolt hasn't crapped out yet, I wouldn't bother doing the swap though. No sense in fixing something that isn't broke. You could always build one up if/when your 7-bolt does die though...that way there isn't as much down time between motors.

My motor hasn't crapped out yet. Yet. So in the meantime I just wanted to be building a nice little 6 bolt in the garage.

So, to get this all straight - A 6 bolt block is what came with 90 - early 92 Talons and Eclipses, and that's it? Sounds easy enough. Are these blocks iron or aluminum?

I wonder if anyone makes an aftermarker 6 bolt block, kinda like some people do for small block Chevy's, like the all-mighty Bow-Tie Block. Anyone know?

Catbox_95 said:
My motor hasn't crapped out yet. Yet. So in the meantime I just wanted to be building a nice little 6 bolt in the garage.

So, to get this all straight - A 6 bolt block is what came with 90 - early 92 Talons and Eclipses, and that's it? Sounds easy enough. Are these blocks iron or aluminum?

I wonder if anyone makes an aftermarker 6 bolt block, kinda like some people do for small block Chevy's, like the all-mighty Bow-Tie Block. Anyone know?

6-bolt came in 89-early92 T/E/L, it came in Galant VR-4s as well.

The blocks are cast iron, but the heads are aluminum.

By aftermarket blocks do you mean like crate motors? Places like Buschur, SBR, Magnus, etc all have fully pre-built racing short or long blocks built to the compression and internal specs you decide. Check the parts catalog on this site for some links and prices.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back