The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

6 bolt block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstowner

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2004
Creston, Iowa
Local mechanic here in town has a 6 bolt block with crank and pistons out of a talon. Haven't talked to him personely so I don't know much about it. I talked to my buddy and he told me about it. He said the crank is messed up but everything else is good. Said that $75 would take it? Good buy?

thanks guys

Find out what messed up means? As long as the block is not cracked, you should be able to bore it .020" over and be all set to go

You can have my old 6 bolt block for free. Only thing it needs is pistons. Timing belt went on the old motor. Come and get it for pay for shipping.

Be very careful. If the crank is "messed up" then they probably spun bearings. If it was bad the block will be unusable. Most are not able to be line bored. Have a machine shop look at it and tell you if it is usable. If it is, 75 is not bad at all.:thumb:

I went and looked at it today. Looked pretty good. The crank is fine. It spun a rod bearing. So the only thing I would have to get is new rods. The cylinders still looked real good. It still had the lines from factory honing so he said I could probably go back to stock without boring it .020 over. It came out of a nt. Is the nt block the same as a turbo block? Im guessing it is? I can use a 7 bolt head on a 6 bolt cant I? And isn't a nt and a turbo head the same besides the cams? He said he would take $50 for the block and the crank.

gstowner said:
I went and looked at it today. Looked pretty good. The crank is fine. It spun a rod bearing. So the only thing I would have to get is new rods. The cylinders still looked real good. It still had the lines from factory honing so he said I could probably go back to stock without boring it .020 over. It came out of a nt. Is the nt block the same as a turbo block? Im guessing it is? I can use a 7 bolt head on a 6 bolt cant I? And isn't a nt and a turbo head the same besides the cams? He said he would take $50 for the block and the crank.

The blocks are essentially the same except the turbo block was equipped with oil squirters. This will be alright though as quite a few people drop the N/A block in there.

Your 7 bolt head will bolt on there. I believe the threads are a different diameter however so it will require slight modification. 1G and 2G heads are quite different - and the variation does not come with the block. '93 and '94 models all had a 7 bolt block and [almost] the same head as the '90 to '91. '95 and up had a very different head.

If you want to do this on a budget, I would suggest using the 6 bolt block, 2G head, and the cams from the 1G head. Even though they are N/A cams, I think they will still be an upgrade over the turbo 2G cams. Someone else should confirm the validity of my statement, however :thumb:

Good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back