The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

4g63t Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onehotshark

Probationary Member
Jul 16, 2004
Vero Beach, Florida
I've got a 2000 tiburon that i want to swap a 4g63t into. i have about 10,000 to spend on the process but i need direction and help. i want this car to be my daily driver but i also want to hang with those srt boys. i need all the help i can get. i'll appreciate anything and everything.

for $10,000 you could build a new motor with forged internals, get every fuel and ecu mod you need and custom build a turbo setup for it and still ahve money left over. it would probably be cheaper than trying to swap a 4g63 into that thing.

if you absolutely must though i'd suggest going out and finding a wrecked gst though and transplant every piece of wire and mechanical piece under the hood there. then you should be alright.

Did your car have a Mitsu motor to begin with? I had thought Hyundai stopped using Mitsu powerplants years earlier. Or are you allowing for custom motor mount fabrication for your budget?

That would be an interesting project and very time consuming, it'd take a lot of man hours to get that thing going, unless you know some in's and out's of doing electrical stuff, you could easy find a 1g turbo or 2g turbo for that matter and have it running 12's daily drivin, im not steering you away from the swap i went through one myself, but for 10k you could have your car as a DD and a dsm to play around with or visa verca, id only attempt the swap if you know someone else that has done it and is a good source of information. :thumb:

Whiteshadow said:
That would be an interesting project and very time consuming, it'd take a lot of man hours to get that thing going, unless you know some in's and out's of doing electrical stuff, you could easy find a 1g turbo or 2g turbo for that matter and have it running 12's daily drivin, im not steering you away from the swap i went through one myself, but for 10k you could have your car as a DD and a dsm to play around with or visa verca, id only attempt the swap if you know someone else that has done it and is a good source of information. :thumb:

my thoughts exactly for $5000 you could get a very clean awd 1g and then mod it with the remaining $5000 or spread that between the two cars somehow.

i want to keep the tib. only cause i've got alot into "show". the motor will drop in like a new beta engine, or at least thats what the hyundai dealership said. they also said they'ld do the swap for $2,000, is that a good price? I want a motor with forged and rebuit internals, is road/race engineering a good place to go to? thanks for all the help so far guys, i really want to make this work and you all are helping so much.

onehotshark said:
i want to keep the tib. only cause i've got alot into "show". the motor will drop in like a new beta engine, or at least thats what the hyundai dealership said. they also said they'ld do the swap for $2,000, is that a good price? I want a motor with forged and rebuit internals, is road/race engineering a good place to go to? thanks for all the help so far guys, i really want to make this work and you all are helping so much.

as a certified hyundai salesman i can say that it won't jsut drop right in since the hyundai "beta" engine (our 2.0 4 cylinder CVVT engine) is mounted the wrong way around. it'd be like putting a 4g63 into a 95-99 nt. now i can only assume that the tiburon is mounted the same way, just open your hood and tell me whether the transmission is on the driver's or passenger side.

well do you see here why you might have some problems with this motor swap being a "direct drop in"

6 bolt 4g63

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

hyundai motor

if you had an older hyundai this is how easy it would be (see any resemblance to the top picture??)

so its alot more work than i thought. but the dealership said they could do it, no prob. i had planned to get a trans. w/ the motor. would i also have to change out the axles?

trust me not everyone at a dealership knows everything about what they sell, much less cars that aren't even in production anymore like your 99 tiburon (changed everythin on the new bodystyle) and they know even less about dsm's.

mazdamx6pwr.com said:
Could he use an EVO-4 or newer 4g63?

yea he could, and it'd be like putting a nissan skyline motor in a supra, possible, a little easier since it's going the right direction, but still not a drop in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back