The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2nd project car choices, help me pick!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicalBor

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland
Aside from my DSM I found two other cars I've been really looking into getting for another project, but would still be driven probably 5000 miles a year or more.

Sticking with the Mitsubishi brand, the first choice is:

1994 White 3000GT VR-4 All stock, with exception of aftermarket blow off valve. 1994 models as we know had all wheel steer, adjustable in car suspension, active aero kit, etc. $10,650 at 89,000 original miles

-OR-

Switching to the Euro side, the second choice is:

2001 Black Audi S4, also all stock, $10,999 also at 89,000 original miles.

Let me know what you think guys, which you would take and why. Wouldnt be bad to have 4 REAL seats in the Audi which is also much newer, but I've always wanted to get a VR-4 to rock out for a year or two before I gotta get something bigger. I don't have pictures but the body condition on both model is great. :hellyeah:

I love both cars but if it's a long term reliable project that you are looking for lean towards Audi. My fiancee wanted a vr4 however we heard that transmission parts are no longer made for them. So if you blow the tranny then you have to SEARCH for used parts instead of being able to buy them new.

I have heard in passing that the transmission in the VR-4 isnt as sturdy as the rest of the GTs or even the DSM's. Is this true? Can anyone confirm transmission problems with 3000 GTs and/or if parts are no longer made?

Stealths/3000gt's from what I am told were built on a dsm drivetrain with a bunch of extra weight and as such like to break all the time when launching. Honestly its not a contest the audi wins.

3/S cars are cool and all, but you already have a turbocharged coupe that in my opinion is a better platform. The S4 on the other hand is different. It's a sedan if you ever really need to haul stuff or people and will do it much better then any DSM or 3/S plus they are underrated, truly awesome cars. They really do have huge potential and they always just look like standard A4's to people who aren't knowledgeable about them, which gives them huge sleeper value as well.

I love both cars but if it's a long term reliable project that you are looking for lean towards Audi. My fiancee wanted a vr4 however we heard that transmission parts are no longer made for them. So if you blow the tranny then you have to SEARCH for used parts instead of being able to buy them new.

Really. AUDI, RELIABLE? No way not at all. One of the most unreliable euro cars made. The vr4 has little support on tuning devices and are heavy slugs. I would steer away from both.

I agree that the Audi seems like the obvious choice. I feel like I want the 3000GT for a year for fun, and am pretty sure I could resell it at the same price I buy it for, so i guess I wouldnt get to make it a real project. Maybe it would be wiser just to buy a car im going to keep for a while and build on it more (audi).

I think the Audi will hold it's value better because I've seen A4's go for more then that S4 and I've seen 3/S's go for much less then that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back