The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G turbo high flow intake cold air box $0

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alright, I got pretty bored last night and have been wanting to make a "cold" air box to seperate my open intake filter from the heat of the engine.

Anyway I did, and the results are very impressive. and my cost was $0.
I tune with DSMLink, I've been monitoring my intake temps on 3rd gear pulls, I'd start out at 60MPH and pull it up to 90MPH and then go lookat my intake temp during the pull. By then end of third gear my intake temperatures had usually inreased anywhere from 12-17 degrees. Now with the seperator in place Ive dont numerous 3rd gear pulls beause I need to retune the car. My intake temps by the end of third gear rise no more than 4 degrees. Usually only by 3.

Here's how I built the box.
What you will need:

1 - Election candidates advertizement sign, or anything like it, (i've even seen these made out of MGD Beer Box's).
1 - roll of duct tape
1 - 10" piece of paking foam, or any type of foam will most likely work.
1 - Box cutters
1 - scissors

Step 1. "Borrow" an election candidates not-anylonger-needed roadsign advertizement.

Step 2. Remove intake filter element.

Step 3. Get a piece of cardboard and make a template of where it needs to go.

Step 4. Once you have the cardboard template scribble it onto the advertizement sign.

Step 5. Double-check before you cut it out that it's right, add or remove sribble marks.

Step 6. Cut with scissors or box cutters I used both.

Step 7. Fit into place, cut as needed.

(NOTE: if you want to paint it or change the color of it somehow do it now)

Step 8. Once you have it right, use some duct tape to seal the edges that dont fit, The biggest problem I had here was that I cut it too high and my hood wouldnt close, just keep trimming it.

Step 9. Find some foam to put on the top to seal against the hood. Put it on, tape it into place.

Unfortunently I was only able to find red duct tape and my cars blue, the filter covered most of it up, and for the top piece of foam I lined it with black electrical tape so it looks nice.

I posted the logs on DSMLink forums, this was the ONLY modifiation other than some tuning I did, One of the guys on DSMLink forums noted an 8% increase in power from the before to the after log.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Enjoy.

Some larger pictures.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back