The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g pistons stick above 6 bolt block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allmine104

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
assembled my block did the usual 2g pistons on 6 blot rods with arp bolts.Deck of block was decked but just enough for clean up and ra finish so i can run a mls down the road. Anywho noticed the pistons were sticking slightly roughly measused .0175in~ any suggestions?
thanks

Block was milled too far.

.018 out the hole, well compression will be up.

With a compressed HG thickness of .039, it means that the piston will not hit the head. appox .021 clearance.

It is still a viable build, depending on cylinder head combustion chamber size, and cam selection.

You must figure your static compression, and piston to valve clearance.

thanks for the replys was told was machined enough to "make a clean up pass''.....

Highly unlikely, since 6mm=.236", not .024" ;). Most likely, some asshat shaved the deck .020"

Good call .. Didnt even look at the measurement he posted... Just the problem he posted .. Woops..

Ya if you run a OEM or felpro permatorque MLS headgasket(.051) you will have plenty of piston to head clearance if your measurements are accurate.

Not likely but also possible rods werent bored on center.

Impossible actually.

let me add, if someone that has the most minute idea on how to bore, its should be impossible, maybe on purpose, to prove a point or destroy the rod, then it could be possible.

Not impossible at all. Its not that hard to get off center by .0175 ive personally witnessed a local shop trying g to set up a Bridgeport to mill the rod end for bushings and was eyeballing it. Very easy to eyeball 17 thousandths off.

All pistons stick out the same amount roughly i can double check the measurments... I'm using a stock composite gasket with arp's. with 2g's its supposed to be zero height right I'm leaning with bogus svo and thinkin that it was decked too much...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back