The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G owners running fuel cells

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmusmc

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2007
Alliance, Ohio
I typed in "fuel cell" and looked through some build threads but haven't seen to many pictures. Trying to see what fuel cells some of you are using and placement. I'm thinking of running a 12-16 gallon cell. I'm also going to sheet metal where the spare tire was so I might have more options for placement.

Last edited:
No one? It's been done before. There's several pics for 1G's but that doesn't help me with placement. I've only seen a few pics for a 2G but not sure what has been done for a return line. Could I just use a bulkhead fitting?

If you buy a fuel cell with a top plate only. Like all bladder types, thats the only way to get fuel in and out is through a bulkhead fitting. I road race with efi cars and all our cells are like that. The last few cars and the current one which happens to be a 2g. I will have a full cage and 22gal fuel cell in it this week so I can have a picture but I dont think it would be like what you need. I think im going to cut the floor where original tank is and set it as low as I can

Here is a Frontline Fab 2g 12 gallon fuel cell. It's a direct bolt in to the factory location, except it only bolts to the brackets on the passenger side.

My tank is already installed, so i cant get you any more pictures of the top, but there are a few threads with more shots of it outside of the car.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And this is what it looks like installed (I haven't run the fuel lines yet)

How much didnthat run you?

Honestly I lucked out, the thought of purchasing a FF fuel cell never crossed my mind because of how long they take to make. Luckily for me there was a guy that was selling one a little over an hour away in Orlando for $500. So I bought it. I believe he told me that he bought it from FF for a tad over $750, but it took about 4 months for him to get it.

On a side note: Installation was so simple I couldn't believe it. Put it this way, assuming that the stock fuel tank is already off, It would probably take you longer to pull out and replace your spark plugs than it would take for me to install the fuel cell.

I used an RCI 10gal Fuel Cell with Sender using 2x044 pumps

I cut out the trunk area and used an aluminum sheet like above to hold it

Had a local fab shop weld a 1.5" frame around the fuel cell to hold it in place

The 2 outlets you see in the picture feed the pump

I had a -6an fitting welded on the left side of the cell for the return

Once i drain the gas, takes less than 10min to take out

Attachments

• img_1198.jpg
    img_1198.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,752
n0de- I know about the bolt in cell. I'm getting a refund from my order in November.

DSM_PWR- Thanks for the pics. Looks good.

The aluminum cell seems the way to go sense I'll be redoing the rear with sheet metal. I wasn't sure if just welding the fitting or using a bulkhead if plastic would be enough. What are you using for a sending unit if any? More than likely I'd have to use a fuel gauge.

WTF I knew the lead times on frontline's stuff was pretty stretched out as this point, but that is crazy talk. Maybe I will hold off a bit on ordering a rear diff cover after hearing this. I'm planning to blow up my dsm well before I would likely receive it.

I think the diff covers you can get from a vendor that has some in stock. I believe FF batch produces those, then has vendors buy them for resale from him? Not completely sure about what happens there, but I do know some vendors have some in stock ready to go.

WTF I knew the lead times on frontline's stuff was pretty stretched out as this point, but that is crazy talk. Maybe I will hold off a bit on ordering a rear diff cover after hearing this. I'm planning to blow up my dsm well before I would likely receive it.
Andrew seems to be focusing on machined parts rather than fabricated parts. So, wait times for fuel cells will be greater than that of a valve cover or rear diff cover.

What are you using for a sending unit if any?
The RCI cell that I have has a 0-90ohm GM sending unit installed, so I can use any 0-90 Autometer (or any other brand) gauge with it.

Mine is going to be virtually identical to DSM_PWR's.

I have the same cell and pumps already and plan to cut out the hump and mount the cell in the same location. On a 2G, that is the best way to do it IMO.

To have it hanging off the sheet metal?? Never thought to do that to keep trunk space. You just fill it from the trunk? Or link it to the oem filler neck?

To have it hanging off the sheet metal?? Never thought to do that to keep trunk space. You just fill it from the trunk? Or link it to the oem filler neck?
I plan to cut the floor of the hatch out, then install a Frontline Fab hatch plate. I'll mount the cell directly below that plate. And I'll fabricate a cage that bolts to the frame rails to house the cell. And I'll install an access panel directly above the filler to fill through the hatch.

Aside from keeping the entire hatch open, it also prevents the need for a big, heavy, and potentially gaudy firewall by keeping the cell low and using a plate across the floor.

How come you dont make your own plate? Made mine in 20 mins with a shear LOL
For a number of reasons. I'm not sure if you've ever seen one, but FF's plate is cut to contour the floor perfectly. And it has holes to use the existing screw bosses in the floor. It's a really nice plate. And I'm confident that anything I make myself will not as nice of a piece as FF's plate. This is just one of those things where it's cheaper to just buy the nice piece rather than spend alot of my time tracking down material and attempting to build a lesser quality part myself.

Paul is correct. I am focused way more on machined parts nowadays as my eyes have started having adverse reactions to AC welding. The fuel cells are going to go back into production, but will be welded by another fab shop.

Paul is correct. I am focused way more on machined parts nowadays as my eyes have started having adverse reactions to AC welding. The fuel cells are going to go back into production, but will be welded by another fab shop.

Sounds like youve been getting the sensitivity flicker. Time for a better helmet? I'd weld for FF ;)

No, I wish that was it. I've switched hoods a bunch of times and currently use a Speedglas. I have it set it up as a passive lens hood to try to help, but it doesn't. DC bothers me as well, it just takes longer. 5 minutes welding aluminum and I have a debilitating migraine.

Also, it's only my right eye.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back