The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2g n/t, No Power to Crank Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelot13

Probationary Member
Feb 4, 2011
State College, Pennsylvania
I bought a 95 Eclipse Rs for $300, it just needed a new engine (or so we thought). I found an engine that ran for $450 that came out of an Avenger. Got it, put it in, had to change a few sensors from the old engine to the new since the plugs were different. Got it all changed, went to start it and it just cranked. The CEL code showed 11, so I checked the cam sensor and crank sensor (even swapped the crank sensor from the other engine in) and it just kept giving me the same error. I bought a new cam sensor, wired it up and same error. I used a multimeter to check the voltages and saw the power wire and sensor wire were swapped, so I fixed that and now the CEL error is gone. I go to start it, and it just cranks but no start. No spark and no fuel pump power. I check the voltages on the crank sensor... and nothing. Nothing at all on either of the 3 plugs. No power, no sensor voltage, and the ground doesnt even have continuity when I check it to the frame. Any ideas on what it could be? I don't get CEL errors, a OBD II scan showed no codes. Could it be the wiring harness or a fried PCM? Or any other suggestions to try?

I'd trace the wires down. there must be a brake somewhere in your harness. Because you should at least have ground. also check the pcm plugs and make sure your pcm is in good condition. check your grounds too. Somewhere in there your wires must cut or broken.

+1 on checkn the pcm wires i had 95 talon that did the same thing and the pcm was shot

Ill check the wires tomorrow and i'll check one of the other sensors too to see if theyre getting power.The thick alternator wire (the one that bolts on) didn't have any juice through it either. That help at all?

Fixed it.
Unplugged the pcm to check for bad caps, couldn't see anything due to the pcm being filled with the dark orange-ish jelly. So while I had the connector free, I got a piece of wire and ran it from the positive terminal of the battery to one of the wires to the crank sensor (jammed the wire into the socket of the pcm plug where the sensor wire was) and crawled underneath and the power wasnt getting to the other end. So I unplugged the wiring harness, plugged in the section that came with the engine (just the plug where that wiring harness section plugs into the rest and the 3 plugs and alternator connections). Turned the key.. heard the fuel pump. Plugged the coil back in, turned the key, crank crank fire! Huge smile on my face. Swapped the main wiring harness back in, figured the connector just wasn't tight. Put everything back on it, topped off coolant and checked oil. Put the hood back on, off the jack stands she came. Took it for a test drive, needs brakes ha. But, first time that car has ran on its own since atleast '09.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back