The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g GSX Fun Street Car Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousLord

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Orlando, Florida
My name is Eddy. Back in Aug. 2010, 5 years after I bought my Evo 8, some scumbag decided to steal it and strip it for parts. I couldn't take any pics of the car stripped. As stupid as it sounds it hurt way too much to see my car in that condition.

The Evo was my first AWD vehicle and I fell in love the first time I took her around a corner! So with the Evo being gone, I looked at all kinds of cars to replace her with; 335i, another Evo, Subi's... But I just didn't want another car payment for the moment. At the time I was supporting my mother, and this was the first time in her life she didn't have a job. So it was best to keep the money in house, rather then piss it on another car payment. This is when I decided to look into DSMs.

I liked the 2g. But I only wanted GSX. I was not ready to leave the handling I grew to love. After about 2 months of searching I found a sun faded Cayenne Red Pearl 2g GSX in Orlando, FL (I'm in South FL). Took a trip up there on my day off, and didn't like what I saw, so I left. Too much reconditioning work to be done, didn't want to deal with all that crap (remember, I'm coming from a newer model car). I kept doing a little more research on 2g's, rust issues, things to look for and such. Kept looking and looking, I found nothing worth buying. But the first 2g GSX was still unsold. Took another trip up there to look at it again. Found no rust anywhere execpt the trunk floor. I said screw it, it's an easy fix and bought it. Rented a trailer and loaded her up.

I created this "Blog" for others to follow my slow progress in making this into a "Fun" street car. My overall goals are to reduce as much weight as possible without making it an uncomfortable ride. I will still want a nice stereo (no sub) just an amp powering new speakers. Key goal is rapid spool, with power goals over 400hp/400tq. The car will see the occasional track day but will be driven daily.

Enjoy... :thumb:

My Evo first.
few specs, last dyno at CFT Orlando 400hp/420tq Mustang Dyno at 33psi Meth injection with fail safes, warnings and map switching... best time of 11.5@125 (not driven by me) my personal best was 11.8@119

The first 8 pics were taken by a good friend of mine, named David A from Naples.
e5hw4.jpg

e8rg6.jpg

e9jv2.jpg

e2to8.jpg

e42qs1.jpg

e3rm8.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

l_0806e36649b40f3df8d1142e15385c9c.jpg

l_adeae270342aebc11dd939e43083546f.jpg

New Ride:
2g GSX I'm the 2nd Owner

The day i brought her home.
75374_461841508883_691373883_5678111_6861696_n-1.jpg

My first day off from work, LOL.
148894_461841553883_691373883_5678112_6068215_n.jpg

only serious rust on the whole car.
68118_469318043883_691373883_5797589_2452791_n.jpg

150817_469317918883_691373883_5797586_963001_n.jpg

at the fab shop.
69576_468592868883_691373883_5787799_2458954_n.jpg

in progress.
162786_469317953883_691373883_5797587_1819337_n.jpg

finished product :) Anyone have any idea how weight if any i saved from removing the factory trunk floor?
IMG_20101210_161951.jpg

as she sits now... I've removed all the the sound deadening material up to the firewall... Carpet will come back out so i can remove the remaining sound deadening material from the gas tank back.

155840_461831893883_691373883_5678036_4686513_n-1.jpg

76895_461831963883_691373883_5678037_3133647_n.jpg

Future plans: rear seats will not be re-installed. Once i buy an aftermarket steering wheel i will be removing everything air bag related.

Items already in my possession. Evo 9 wheels, Complete black interior (minus seats, haven't decided if I'm reupholstering the factory seats) w/ seat belts, a rebuilt 6 bolt long block... I'll be ripping apart the block and building it to my tastes.

That was a good looking evo, looks like the 2G fell into some good hands. Keep taking pics of the progress

Wow, that evo looked super clean sucks to hear what happened but at least you've got some good pictures of it. Good luck with the 2g I'm sure it will look just as good.

Good luck with the new gsx. Going from a sedan to a coupe should be fun :p but I'm sure you're going to miss the active yaw from the evos.

Thanks guys. progress will be slow but will not stop. I will be working as fast as funds allow me to. This weekend I got back the headliner, sun visors, sun roof panels, and door panel inserts from the upholstery shop, wrapped in black Suede :) I'll post pics this weekend.

gho5tone;bt11806 said:
Good luck with the new gsx. Going from a sedan to a coupe should be fun :p but I'm sure you're going to miss the active yaw from the evos.

The USDM Evos didn't get "AYC" until the Evo X.

Oh, didn't know that. I suppose you wouldn't miss it anyhow LOL

Anyways good luck on the built.

That was a beautiful Evo. Sorry to hear about the loss thou, and not being able to take pics of it stripped doesn't sound crazy to me. I've had 2 DSMs stolen. I'll go to jail if my 3rd one meets the same fate if you follow what I mean. Your GSX is looking great so far too. I like what you did with the trunk floor.

moi1463;bt11817 said:
Where did you find the carpet? Is it aftermarket or off of another car? Looks good.

that's my stock tan carpet painted black. I don't like how it came out, so i'll be replacing it once I get some new seats, hopefully Evo 9 seats.

I'm sorry to hear about your Evo Eddy, looks like it was a really nice car. :(

Keep up the good work with your 2G, it looks good so far. It looks like you're doing everything right and I'm glad to see one of the first things you took care of was that rust. :thumb:

In all honestly I don't like the wheels. Not sure what kind they are. Motegi's for sure.
I have Evo 9 wheels sitting in storage, I'm thinking of powder coating them a dark bronze. The car will be repainted same factory color, Cayenne Red Pearl, should match up nicely.
I really want to run a 255/40/17 tire just like I had on the Evo. I'm a big fan of fat tires, but I'm a little worried about the tires sticking out. Car will have a coilover setup. Fenders will be rolled. Any help with wheel/tire configurations will be greatly appreciated.

mistagst;bt11825 said:
how much did you pay for the dsm anyway? good to see another dsm in some good hands cant wait to see it become a beast
I paid $2300, A little high I know but as I said only rust I found was the trunk floor.

that evo is sick!!!! and the pictures look amazing. that 2g your building is a nice shell if i was you id go with a 6bolt swap or try to get a evo motor in there that be a sweet swap. by the way if your looking for any carbon fiber parts send me a private e-mail i got a hook up that makes alot of evo, 2g talon/eclipse and started making 1g eagle/talon parts too. he just started making a mold for a carbon fiber head liner for a 1g talon/eclipses witch is sweet because 1g dont have much upgrades out there as the 2g has. good luck with the build and hope everything good smoothluy cant wait to see more pictures

1990eagletalon;bt11835 said:
that evo is sick!!!! and the pictures look amazing. that 2g your building is a nice shell if i was you id go with a 6bolt swap or try to get a evo motor in there that be a sweet swap. by the way if your looking for any carbon fiber parts send me a private e-mail i got a hook up that makes alot of evo, 2g talon/eclipse and started making 1g eagle/talon parts too. he just started making a mold for a carbon fiber head liner for a 1g talon/eclipses witch is sweet because 1g dont have much upgrades out there as the 2g has. good luck with the build and hope everything good smoothluy cant wait to see more pictures

Thanks. I already have a rebuilt stock 6 bolt long block sitting in storage. Once I finish the interior I'll be ripping apart the block and rebuilding to my tastes. High compression pistons, rods, polished crank.

I like CF in the interior but as an accent. I wouldn't want a the whole headliner done up like that. The headliner and a few other pieces have already been wrapped in black suede.

I'm even considering painting all exterior CF (hood, hatch) to keep it clean and simple.

Have you upgraded the steering wheel yet? If you're getting rid of the air bags, how did you deal with the passenger side bag? Mine has a very warped cover that looks like crap.

i saw a thread where a guy successfully removed the airbag and still reinstalled the airbag cover. My cover is still in good shape. If it wasn't I would mold a piece of plastic sheet using heat to mimic the lines/curves, then wrap that in leather or whatever you want. Should work.

Update: Progress has been really slow. But it's been non-stop. A few months back seats came in; headliner, shift boot, door panels have all been wrapped in black suede and I finally got around to installing the new alternator. But now I have a new problem (video down below)

DSC04988.jpg

DSC04991.jpg

DSC04996.jpg

aside from a car addiction, I do also have a shoe addiction.

DSC04998.jpg

clicky...

I'm thinking it could be the turbo. Need help.

figured I'd try out and see how much I can restore the original 14 yr. old paint... not too bad actually. Car is still getting repainted.

DSC05002.jpg

4 step process... wash, clay, compound, and wax. I'm sure I could get better results with a few more steps that I skipped, but my arm is tired.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back