The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2g GSX 60,000 miles and rod knock

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91TSI505

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2003
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
My friend is about to buy a 2g GSX for 5k, the car is well worth 5k because of the mods done to it but it has some rod knock. Other than the rod knock the car seems to be in great shape, Good compression no shaft play etc. My question is, what would be the best way to fix the rod knock? My original plan was to get new pistons,rods,rod bearings and head gasket and just give the cylinders a good hone but with both of us working full time jobs we don't have the time to do this right away. So now were looking for a quicker way. Anyone have any ideas. I have rebuilt a 4g63 before but i was not pressed for time. My friend doesnt have a car now so were trying to do this as fast as possible. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

91TSI505 said:
My friend is about to buy a 2g GSX for 5k, the car is well worth 5k because of the mods done to it but it has some rod knock. Other than the rod knock the car seems to be in great shape, Good compression no shaft play etc. My question is, what would be the best way to fix the rod knock? My original plan was to get new pistons,rods,rod bearings and head gasket and just give the cylinders a good hone but with both of us working full time jobs we don't have the time to do this right away. So now were looking for a quicker way. Anyone have any ideas. I have rebuilt a 4g63 before but i was not pressed for time. My friend doesnt have a car now so were trying to do this as fast as possible. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

I'm the friend who is interested in buying the car. I'm pressed for time on this project because of school and work. However, I don't want to half-ass this either. I am not sure if I should just replace the bearings or if I should take on the whole project. I don't want to take the quick way out, and then have to fix more a couple miles or months down the road. Funds are an issue too. I have about 1200.00 bucks to fix the situation. Anybody who is familiar with this problem or suggestions, feel free to leave advice. Thanks, Kwake

first of all how loud is the knock..it may not be a rod...some of these motors are beast..all thumbs up for that. But some after a while will get a very faint knock. this is nothing to worry about.

Pbwoodard said:
first of all how loud is the knock..it may not be a rod...some of these motors are beast..all thumbs up for that. But some after a while will get a very faint knock. this is nothing to worry about.
jesus. this post is retarded. also rod knock has everything to do with the wrist pin so replacing the bearings wouldnt help much. youll need a rebuild to ensure it doesnt happen again. $1200 is not even close to what youll need to do it.

You could buy a stock 6 bolt engine and swap it in, be cheaper than building it.

Lunch_Box said:
You could buy a stock 6 bolt engine and swap it in, be cheaper than building it.

6bolt short block from a shop,, thats what i recommend to solve the problem ;)

peregrine said:
jesus. this post is retarded. also rod knock has everything to do with the wrist pin so replacing the bearings wouldnt help much. youll need a rebuild to ensure it doesnt happen again. $1200 is not even close to what youll need to do it.

$1,200 is enough to do a bottom end rebuild.

peregrine said:

Easy killer. Rod knock can develop when a bearing goes bad.. (they don't just go bad, something else started it though.)

I fully rebuilt my 7bolt block for $726 including machine costs (Did all the assembly and work myself.)

ArticNemesis said:
Easy killer. Rod knock can develop when a bearing goes bad.. (they don't just go bad, something else started it though.)

I fully rebuilt my 7bolt block for $726 including machine costs (Did all the assembly and work myself.)
figure in the price of a new oil pump etc. your stupid if you use the old one. do it right once.

I'm kinda in the same situation as you...except that I found mine for $350.00 (yes the whole car) at an auto auction. It didn't run when I bought it, but I put in a new Crank Angle Sensor and it cranked up only to hear "KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!!" :thumbdown Anyway, time not being an issue for me, I have been researching for the past month as to what I can do with what amount of money.
I would suggest, as others above me have, a stock 6 bolt swap (JDM 45-50k miles). That will just about fit into your price range (~1300 shipped). You will reuse the accessories and sensors from your 7bolt and make the slight mod to your wiring harness to accept the 1g CAS sensor (noted on RRE site). Shave one of the motor mounts and that's pretty much it.
I think this is your best way and it leaves the doors wide open for future mods when you get the time and the money.

Later,
MM

once a bearing goes it's a matter of time before it'll go again unless you replace the crank, rods, and most likely oil pump and stuff...but you're talkin a lot of crap to just be back to stock....i dwouldnt buy it

well were probly gonna do bottom end rebuild on it, keep you guys posted on the progress. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back