The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g exhaust manifold with EVO III 16G broken studs in turbo....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
This is the second time this has happened to me and I am at a loss on what to do. I have an EVO III 16g with broken bolts in the hot side....for the second time. The first time, I had ARP Stainless bolts which apparently did not handle the heat too well and practically welded themselves to the hot side of the turbo. All 4 broke off in the turbo and had to be machined out then I had to re-thread the hot side. This time, the bolts were brand new OEM hardened bolts that completely seized into it and stripped out every hole and bolt.

Now with a completely stripped out hot side, I need to figure out a way to salvage it using as little money as possible. I tried re-threading it again, but there is just not enough metal there to hold the bolts. I can't put a longer bolt in it since the holes on the hot side are so close to the wall and a nut would not fit on it. Finding a good hot side with a non welded working internal wastegate flap is practically impossible :( This is my last step in finishing my engine to install it so I need to figure something out! Any ideas are welcome!

Did you just try to tap the hole, or run a helicoil?
Also, did you use any copper anti-seize on your bolts? They shouldn't have seized up there.

I did use copper anti-seize on both sets of bolts which is what makes me angry :( These bolts are not cheap in any way. Me and helicoils never get along and I always seem to cross thread every bolt I use in a helicoil. I suppose I could try it again but I am not sure about the heat and torque in this application.

The hot sides posted above are a little too expensive for me as I have already dumped over 3k into the internals of the motor and my wife is using that against me :p Plus...I don't have any more money left to dump into my car at the moment.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back