The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2g Budget Suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herostar

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2002
Denver, Colorado
Hi guys. I've had my GSX for about 5 years now, and it's deffinitely time for new springs/struts/shocks. What do you recommend as a good suspension combination that's around $500? It's mostly street driving, and lots of time on the curvy roads in the mountains...

Well, it looks like MachV has this sale going on right now on Tojico's.
http://www.machv.com/tokshocpac.html
469 for standard, 669 for adjustable shocks.

I've never run any sort of combination like this at all, so I don't know how well it would work. When I bought my car, all 4 factory shocks were blown, and I replaced the entire suspension from the upper mounts down. RRE bearing plates/Koni Adjustables/GC coilovers. That was pretty $$ though. Way more than your budget.

RRE also looks like they have some deals on shocks/springs. Here's their page.

KYB AGX Adjustable Struts and Shocks
The new AGX series shock from KYB fills the gap between the standard KYB GR-2 and the higher priced GABs. Priced at $400 for a set of four they they are the most affordable adjustable shock to fit your Eclipse. KYB's quality is top notch. While they look exactly like the more expensive GABs, the valving is less harsh. The AGX shocks allow you to tune your shocks to match driving conditions in seconds. No need to lift vehicle or remove anything to change settings. Damping rate is selected with an external knob on the shock body or a screwdriver slot at the top of the piston rod, depending on model. Lifetime warranty by KYB.
$525 set of four '89-94
$450 set of four '95-99

Tokico Illumina 5 Way Adjustable Shocks
These are our favorite for the 2G Eclipses. They are less harsh than the GABs or AGXs and more adjustable than the Konis. There is a 5 way adjustment at the top of the shock for both the front and rear shock for convenience. Turing the adjuster stiffens up both compression and rebound damping. Eclipse and Talon. Guaranteed by Tokico as long as you own your car.
They are available only for the '95-'99 $550 Set of four

KYB GR-2 Gas Shocks & Struts
KYB makes the factory suspension for the Eclipse, and these shocks are a great replacement value. These are a tiny bit stiffer than stock; definitely not a sports shock.
$280 Set of 4. '89-'94
$280 Set of 4 '94-'99

Eibach Pro Kit Springs
We strongly recommend purchasing a quality shock absorber along with these springs. They are approximately 20% stiffer than stock. The purpose of the shock is to control the spring energy. Get more spring & you need more shock. If you are on a budget and can't afford both, get shocks only for better handling. If your only purpose is to get all the chicks & look cool with a lousy ride, get springs only.
$220 Set of 4

I have illuminas and the prokit. I found it used for 300. that plus front and rear dc strut tower bars make for a ver good handleing car.

look for used.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference between an awd suspension (in terms of shock and spring) is the spring rate for the rear. With that said, there are vendors on e-bay selling Tokico Illumina shocks for FWD around $375. Just match them with the spring rates that you want.

If you can up your budget to about 700 you can get a set of full coilovers, fully adjustable.
K-Sports to be exact. I have them on my car and I love them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference between an awd suspension (in terms of shock and spring) is the spring rate for the rear.

The rear spring perch for the awd shock is a few mm higher. I have yet to see proven numbers that fwd/awd aftermarket springs have different rates.

O.P., I think you need to up your budget a bit. I would really consider forking out the cash for Koni yellows.

O.P., I think you need to up your budget a bit. I would really consider forking out the cash for Koni yellows.

From personal experience with AGX and Tokico Illumina, I strongly agree.

Koni is the best value. Call RRE and ask Ty about Koni pricing.

Personally on my 1996 Eclipse GST, I used Eibach Pro Kit springs with KYB AGX struts. Bought them all on ebay for under $500 absolutely no problems. Its a bumpier ride, but guys I'm driving a sports car not a damn LINCOLN.

On my fiancee's 1998 Eclipse GSX, I used KYB GR2's (she wanted a softer ride) with H&R Street Springs. I love it, with 215/45/17 Continental ExtremeContacts it had a super soft ride, loved it. It has 225/40/18 same tire, its a more noticeable stiffer ride. Looks great, sleek lines. I think I spent close to $500.

On both vehicles I replaced all strut mounts and the isolator cushions.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference between an awd suspension (in terms of shock and spring) is the spring rate for the rear.
Since you asked, you're wrong. For the two years that 2G AWDs and FWDs had different springs, both the front and rear were different.

- Jtoby

OEM spring rates

95-96 OEM Stock 2G AWD
Front: 265
Rear: 162

95-96 OEM Stock 2G FWD
Front: 246
Rear: 173

97-99 OEM Stock 2G AWD
Rear: 151

97-99 OEM Stock 2G FWD
Rear: 151

I paid $350 shipped for new Tokico Illumina's on ebay and Tire Rack on a sale on Eibach Pro for $200 shipped. $550 for an entire setup is not bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back