The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g auto tranny in 1g questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gstclipse69

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2006
Columbia, South_Carolina
Ok I am considering the option of installing a 2g tranny in my 1g. I have searched quite a bit but wanted to clear a couple things up. My 1g is just my daily driver. I have a 2g gsx that serves my need for speed. The 1g has a 6 bolt in it and a stock auto tranny. The tranny is a bit rough, and anyway the local junkyard always has a bunch of 2gs in it that I can grab a tranny out of for like 75 bones. There will be a 1g at the junkyard every once in awhile but they are always 1.8's. My 1g is a 2.0 fwd n/t. Anyway so I've been thinking about just grabbing a 2g tranny and putting it in my 1g. I know it will be a tight fit and if I have to grind/modify the frame some I can handle that.
Now I have read that I would need to grab the tcu and harness out of the donor car as well which shouldnt be a problem. My question is will the wiring harness and tcu plug up in my car or will I have to cut the harness' up and wire it together, and if I had to do that, does someone have a pinout of what wires do what? My 1g is a 93 and from what I have seen it should be a 2 plug harness. What do 2gs come with, 2 or 3 plugs or would the harness plug even be the same?

As far as axles, I could get the axles out of the donor car, but I read that the later 1gs 93-94 might be the same size as the 2gs.

Now about all this Kiggly adapter kit needed, I understand one will need clearance in bolting up a 2g auto trans to a 6 bolt. Do I need this whole kit or can I get by with just the flexplate? The flexplate is like 110, for the whole kit, which has a whopping adapter plate, oem pilot bushing and some bolts is 295. :rolleyes:
Is there any other way to avoid having to get this kiggly kit? And I read some thread about one swapping a 1g bellhousing onto the 2g tranny. Would this solve any of these issues?
Like I said, this is just my dd. Its not even turbo, so Im not looking for crazy power, just something reliable that works. I liked the 2g trans because it does have a lockup converter and they are more readily available to me. Thanks for the advice.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back