The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

25psi maf translator ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdsmtnr96

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2005
Des Moines, Iowa
I been searching and I've found"what it is, how it works ect" my question is can I run 25 psi with my big16g real mhi turbo? My fuel system consist of. 550 RCA injectors (I'm going to be running 750's and a fmic) I have a 255 welbro and a aero motive fuel pressure regulator, maf translator with 3 gm sensor My full exhaust has been done but that shouldn't matter. If you can I would l like some input if possable. Also how much psi have you seen with a maf translator. This is on a 1997 eagle talon awd

The GM MAF, Walbro 255, 750cc injectors, and 3 BAR MAP sensor are definitely good enough for a 16g at 25psi. However, the MAF-T is not. Piggy-back AFC's allow you to run larger injectors by altering the airflow signal to the ECU. When the ECU reads less airflow it advances ignition timing. A small fame turbo like the 16g produces high intake temps and increases exhaust gas temps. So high boost + high timing + pump gas = knock and detonation. You really need a way to control timing or much higher octane fuel. Both in my case.

When I ran my small 16g on pump gas I got to 20psi with the stock timing maps before seeing knock. The more boost I ran, the more I had to lower ignition timing. The best I could do was around 22-23psi with 5* peak timing on 91 pump. And this was with all the proper supporting mods including Link and Punishment FMIC. Running E85 allowed me to push over 25psi at nearly 20* peak timing, which made a serious increase in power.

I tune a car local to me with a e316g on e85 and pump93 on 25psi. The car has a maf translator and 3" gm maf but I have the translator just zeroed out and I tune it via eprom chip. The a/fs stay consistent and theres been no tune issues with the translator.
The previous owner had the car tuned on 22psi on e85 with solely the translator, but i don't think you could really create a great tune on pump93 since there's no timing control. His timing map on pump93 on 25psi is still quite a bit less timing than even a 2g timing map, so you'll really need some means to control timing.
I'd say for 2gs, basically might as well get dsmlink or do ceddymod if you have a flashable ecu. Then decide if you'd prefer to run a gm maf/translator or stick with 2g maf. 2g maf can support a good amount of power and is already on the car versus spending decent chunk of money on a translator, maf, couplers and tbolt clamps for maf-t setup
For reference i've ran a b16g setup with evo 560cc at around 24-25psi on 93oct and had enough fuel

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back