The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

245/xx/17 Tire - 40 or 45 series?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickasskid2087

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Festus, Missouri
Have a 97 tsi awd. Lowered on Koni/ground control. 700f/400r spring rates. Fenders to be rolled. Wheels are 17x9 +25. Run a 40 or 45 series 245? 40 series is 0.6% shorter than stock. 45 is 2.6% taller than stock? Which would you run and why?

Thanks, Alex.d

40... when i was running evo 8 wheels i ran 45 profile tires and had rubbing issues solely due to that fact (had been running 245/40/17 previously)

Widest that will tuck in the rear without much work. And back when I had a 2G, it was a size that included my favorite street tire: the old Kumho MX.

Plus, the 245/45/17 is too tall. You're giving up too much torque.

I'm running 245/40-17 Dunlop sport maxx TT on EVO 9 wheels on a '99 GSX. It's lowered more than I thought. The back tires just barely kiss the fenders on a really bad bump.

Evo 9s have a +38 offset, which is almost perfect. A good rolling of the rear fender lips should take care of it.

I'm running 235 tires that are the same width as 245's. I'm running a 45 sidewall and I love the way the car feels with this setup. I'm not lowered, but if I was planning on lowering I would probably go with the 40s so you have more room "just in case."

Cheers.

Edit- I should also add that I'm running a 17" wheel with a +38 offset (Evo 8 wheels).

Last edited:
245/45/17's with a +25 offset might put you close to rubbing on the rear knuckle. If so it would be an easy fix with some wheel spacers.

If your going for saving some gas the taller tire would help. Save gas.... ROFL

My vote is for the 40's.

Actually, +25 would move the rim further away from the knuckle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back