The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1st Time at Track in a modded DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveDSM

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 12, 2003
PennsylvaniaUS
Here are the mods on the car:

90 TSI AWD 5 speed
Dejon Tool Upgraded stock sidemount
Dejon Tool Upper/Lower I/C Piping
Ported 1g head
Ported 2g 02 Housing
Ported 2g Exh. Mani
Ported 14b
Dejon Tool compressor inlet
Dejon Tool CAI
Hallman mbc set at 18 psi
ACT 2100 clutch
shifter bushings
AGX shocks/struts with suspension techniques springs
16" stock wheels on H rated all season tires
stock 3 bolt and trans
removed A/C
removed balance shafts
Buschur 2.5" mandrel bent dp, high flow cat, 2.5" mandel bent catback
walbro 255
b&m afpr set at 50psi
stock injectors
5 knob AFC
magnecore wires, ngk plugs gapped at .28
no aircan, hacked 1g maf

I'm not a newbie to the track, but I imagine running a rwd is just a tiny bit different. :)

What tire pressures/shock and strut settings am i looking at? I'm worried about that 3 bolt snapping, how do I avoid that? What do I look for to make sure the car doesn't break? For shifting rpms, I plan on 7200 in 1st, 7000 in 2nd, 6800 in 3rd...are these alright?

Any tips or tricks you can give me? What about launching technique?

Car will be full interior, also. any benchracing for what the car should be capable of?

Thank you for your help!

Well, I went to the track. First run I had the AGX's set at 1 in the front, and 3 in the rear. Full weight, 35 psi in all 4 tires. I launched at 4.8k and slipped. The 60 foot was only a 2.100, and I ended up running a 14.8 at 94. The car fell flat on its face in 3rd. Never even got into 4th.

I let the car cooldown, looked over the log for the run and saw that I had no knock, and injectors were at 19.7ms up top. So I leaned the AFC out 4% from 4k up. Deflated tires to 28 psi all around, put rear AGX's to 1. Launched at 5.5k, cut a 1.91 60 foot with no spin. 3rd gear felt better, but still fell on its face aound 6.4k, so I shifted into 4th and finished the run. Ran a 14.2 at 96mph.

Checked the logger and the pda screen died, so I have no idea if the 4% gave me any knock or not. Gained 2mph, and dropped 6 tenths, so that's good, but the trap speed for 18psi on a 14b on pump gas is kinda low for my mods, I'm thinking. I think that I'm running really rich, but I don't know until I go again with a new pda.

Any recommendations or ideas? Boost starts to fall off at the top of 3rd from 18 to 15/16 psi, then I shift to 4th.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back