The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

10 sec. goal, steps to that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by DSMu4ia
Maybe at the track, but not on the street.

Usually a higher MPH'ing car wins via street races.

You tell me, is a broken tranny and who knows what else, really worth those extra .2 tenths?

Also, "cutting lights" has nothing to do with ET/MPH unless you are bracket racing.

From the IDRC summer slam event. John Shepherd had a slower ET, but won the race because he cut much better light. I don't think I said a better light would affect ET/MPH. If you’re worried about breaking a transmission or other parts you should not modified or race your car because is going to happen on way or the other.

John Shepherd Eclipse .401 [email protected] Winner
Paul Efantis 97 Toyota 1.050 9.280@ 147.01

Sorry for going off topic here.

Blitz, don't worry I am well aware of everything. And no, right now I don't have to bang gears. I lead the NCRA Pro Street championship by 384 points, I am sitting pretty comfortably. My belief and driving has worked so far. So why would I "bang gears"? Wait, you probably know best :rolleyes: .

www.ncraspeed.com

Look under Pro Street, yea Ian Currie is me. I don't mean to be an ass, but don't tell me I "shouldn't be racing". Who the #@%#@%#@%#@% wants to break transmissions racing or no racing?

Originally posted by Blitz

From the IDRC summer slam event. John Shepherd had a slower ET, but won the race because he cut much better light. I don't think I said a better light would affect ET/MPH. If you’re worried about breaking a transmission or other parts you should not modified or race your car because is going to happen on way or the other.

John Shepherd Eclipse .401 [email protected] Winner
Paul Efantis 97 Toyota 1.050 9.280@ 147.01

Sorry for going off topic here.

Ugh.

If you would have read what I said "...unless you are bracket racing." And unless you ARE bracket racing, you don't win races by cutting the best light. Usually people are going after timeslips.

I didn't say DO NOT EXPECT TO BREAK PARTS, I said I don't think breaking a transmission is worth doing if you are going after another .2 tenths. I've broken parts like everyone else, and I try to avoid it. If when my car runs again, and I do a 11.1, you can BE DAMN SURE I'll rip the gears as hard as possible until I get the 10.9. But if I was running 12.6's, I don't think it would be worth it to go 12.4's if it meant breaking a tranny, or something else.

Sorry DSMu4ia, but you do win heads up by cutting the light. That is why Shep won that race. He tree'd him, that is what happened to me at a recent event. I ran on 3 cyl's (flooded one) and ran a 12.820 to a 12.822, yet he got a .797 rt and I cut a craptacular .807, so he won by 8 thousands of a second. Pretty crazy stuff, but true.

mclaren55, the NCRA rules state that no standalone management is allowed in the pro street class that you are leading in points, yet you have the E6K listed in your mods. How is this possible?

Originally posted by importracer150
mclaren55, the NCRA rules state that no standalone management is allowed in the pro street class that you are leading in points, yet you have the E6K listed in your mods. How is this possible?

importracer150 Good job carefully reading the rules

Originally posted by NCRA Rulebook ProStreet Category
Ignition System: Aftermarket crank triggers, two step rev limiters, ignition amplifiers, spark computers or dynamically adjustable engine management systems, data loggers are allowed. No traction control.

Originally posted by mclaren55
Alright, running 10's is #@%#@%#@%#@%ing hard. You don't just decide one day "hmm, maybe I will go out and build a 10 second street car". It just doesn't work like that, it takes a lot of skill and tuning to get a car to run mid 11's, forget about what it takes to get a car into the 10's. Buying the parts and installing them is the easy part, getting all of them to work together is the hard part. My car traps mid 120's right now without nitrous. It does 11's, high however. Yet we are still tuning the car and working out bugs. As for the tranny/drivetrain, fortunately my tranny and everything else is still a virgin. It also takes a lot of time driving a car to have it run good times. My MPH is insane for my ET. Who else does 122MPH+ traps and only runs 11.9's? It takes a lot of time to get use to, and tire pressure/suspension and clutch adjustments are important to. The faster you go, the harder it is to stay consistent to. So take it from someone who is in the midst of doing it, take your time and don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out initially.

I DO I DO. So far the best I have gotten is an 11.76 at 122.6 in a pretty streetable car. This was on stock 17 inch tires, nitto 450s at 35psi of tire pressure. I have a bone stock tranny and center diff and so far everything is going well but to run 10s, good luck. First off, a car that can run 10s is different than a car and driver that run 10s. My 122.6mph trap is good for a mid to low 11 second pass if the driver is good enough. I will be the first person to agree with mclaren55, I have been doing this for a long time and it is not just put parts on and go. My goal is more realistic at this point just to run 125mph traps. I think most people who are fast will agree with me that once you get to this point, you shoot more for mph than times becuase driving a car to the 10s is insanly more difficult. I have about 13K in my car and I did all the work myself from the ground up with all my own money. I went through the buying and selling of parts though the different stages. If you go from 14 seconds to 11 second car potential, you will only drive it to the 13s because a big turbo car is so different to drive than a small turbo car. Sorry to keep ranting on here but I am so tired of people thinking it is so easy to run 11s or 10s. When you get there, tell me that it was easy and I will shake your hand. There is a difference between goals and dreams. Goals are attainable, dreams are not. Keep that in mind.

This was brought up, however my Haltech was never hidden. Thus, if they actually teched my car, they would have seen it. A few others in my class also run Tec II's and such. They are changing the rules for next year. They are in the baby steps, thus this a work in progress series. Plus, none of my competitors wanted me outlawed, so they backed me up. I was very thankful, shows the bond and backing you can have with your competitors.

Originally posted by laserspeeddemon

BrnOutKing: Thanks for the input, Buschur racing sells a complete built motor for $3500. I have two 4G63 engines that can offer to them. I'm sure I can work out some kind of discount. As well there other parts. Also I always look for the best deal. For example. NGK Platinum Spark Plugs are $9 on Extreme Motor Sports, but only $5 on NOPI. Your help is appreciated greatly!

I wouldnt hold my breath on a fully built "race engine" for $3500 from Bxxxxxx...He couldnt do it once on the first block I sent so I got him another and he still didnt get it right....You cant just give someone money and expect a race car...I've spent alot of wrench time (since) and alot of tuning time just to get where I am .So my advice is to appreciate every gain YOU get out of your car and keep plugging away at it...If you really want to dip into the 10's GooD LucK but dont expect someone else to be able to get you there...My .o2

at this point if I hit a 13 i'd #@%#@%#@%#@% my pants.
oh well.
Give me some of that money you plan on using to run tens. It'll go to better use than you will put it to. It's like some guy that lives by me that has a 3g RX-7. Twim T-3s???What's he runnin? 13's. Uneducated bastard.And he wants 18k for the car... hahaha. Learn about the #@%#@%#@%#@% the way the rest of us did instead of trying to say"Look im a bajillionaire who doesn't know #@%#@%#@%#@% about how to make a car fast and I want to run 10's. If your hell bent on 10's why dont you just get a V8. You'll save yourself a huge headache.

do you want 10 second passes or a daily driver, your best bet is Hahnracecraft.com, for 6,000 dollars you'll get a full bolt on for an rs or gs and she'll run low 11's, as well as be "streetable". But that requires a super 20g turbo and a rebuilt engine, plus the loss of a few street driving characteristics. If you want 10's than you can't have the streets, simple as that.

Originally posted by KANGA07
do you want 10 second passes or a daily driver, your best bet is Hahnracecraft.com, for 6,000 dollars you'll get a full bolt on for an rs or gs and she'll run low 11's, as well as be "streetable". But that requires a super 20g turbo and a rebuilt engine, plus the loss of a few street driving characteristics. If you want 10's than you can't have the streets, simple as that.
Wow looks like their sales pitch has you fooled.

Originally posted by BLNAWAY
I would have to know what you have on your dsm first. My care is almost where you want to be. I have spend $25,000 on my car to get it to a 10 sec. car. It takes a lot of time, money, and someone who knows what they are doing. Send me a list of your mods and I will give more indepth things to do.

You used to own that high mileage Green 2G in town that ran high 12's...

What turbo are you running, I didn't notice one mentioned in your mods list but you have about everything else. I heard you got rid of the GS-T in favor of a TSi AWD...

Well, fill me in, I'm curious.

If you have gobs of money to spend all over the place.....buy a supra and go to suprastore.com and buy the "1300 h.p. kit," trying to run 10s in a dsm takes a very knowledgeable person/racer, a lot of work, frustration, time, money, profanity, part breakeage....did I miss anything? LOL, however it is possible. Just not probable. There's a guy here in texas that runs 11's in a FWD early 90's minivan just to show ppl that love to talk smack about what they can do and others can't...... what a showoff :p

Originally posted by benleyd19tx
If you have gobs of money to spend all over the place.....buy a supra and go to suprastore.com and buy the "1300 h.p. kit,"
So its just that easy huh? Notice how they could never build a car with that kit have it run worth anything. Does everyone here believe everything that a company puts on their website? :cry:

if you want a 10 secod street car, buy a supra. a 10 second street dsm will be a POS

I like all these "i need a 10's DSM" threads, there amusing. As its been stated many times running 10's isnt easy, not impossible, but definetly not easy. I especially like all the threads that say its impossible to have a 10's streetable vehicle. They are availble, and they are cheap. However, they are not for the average idiot. They are called, motorcyles. Go to the suzuki, or yamaha dealer, put 10 grand down and go fast. its that simple. This is however extremely dangerous for the general public. If you have no motorcycle experiance theres a very good chance your going to hurt yourself. My goal for my DSM, 91tsiawd, is a low 11's, maybe just maybe crack into the 10's. Im using a AEM to tune the 57 trim t3/t4, and a boatload of nitrous. The car is still perfectly streetable, i dont have to run full boost with all the juice to win most street races. The best part is its my winter car :D , as my summer vehicle is and will always be a stupidly fast rocket. - aaron

I run 10s all day on 35 psi and 87 oct. gas with a huge bottle of boost fluid. I painted numbers on my stock boost gauge, a piece of cheese cloth over the intake. Oh the 35 psi is in my tires.

Good luck- its along road ahead.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this is the best post ever...LOL...I say for all you ppl out there that want 10 sec cars go for it. If you dont aim high then what do you haver to aim at...Maby this way it will keep alot more ppl in the sport...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back