The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

you know you fu***ed up when........

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowridin2g

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2002
Pembroke, Massachusetts
was beating the piss outta the car last night driving home when the battery light came on. looked on the afc at volts...........11.4 by the time i was home it was at 10.8 v. from not having a dump tube on my external gate (ive been too lazy to get it done) i believe i fried my altenator. all the wires coming from the altenator are fine in that harness. there are other wires that are a lil melted that i have to repair which i havent figured out where they go yet. fog lights dont work so i gotta trace thoise wires and see where theyre fried. this sucks. once i get this figured out, im contempltaing getting rid of the dsm. not sure yet. :confused:

Attachments

• IM000418.JPG
    IM000418.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IM000419.JPG
    IM000419.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,042
yea, its gonna be a long process. as soon as i get more motivation ill get it started. right now its just too cold, im tired and its gonna be snowing out soon :(

lowridin2g said:
yea, its gonna be a long process. as soon as i get more motivation ill get it started. right now its just too cold, im tired and its gonna be snowing out soon :(

Yeah New England weather sucks. Hopefully you have a daily driver or another car.

it looks like your looking at rewiring... that looks so bad... iam an electrician and i hate wiring.. thats preaty funny. i go to work every day but when i go home i dont want to touch a single wire....hahaha just get a multi meter and follow the votage leads.. from the beginning and then .............etc.. iam sure you know what to do... iam just rambling.. sorry.

You have an external gate dumping 1200+*F gas straight into your engine compartment?

Wow.

Yeah, my buddy with the MR2 did the same thing and it started a fire. Holla at a dump tube quick

You have an external gate dumping 1200+*F gas straight into your engine compartment?

dude i did the internal gate to external gate conversion myself. all i got was two flanges with my wastegate. the gsx is not my daily driver and i meant to get it done but just have no time. not to mention its kind of impossible to obtain stainless steel 38 mm tube. if i could i would have made one up when the conversion was done. the only thing i can do is maybe bring my car to a custom exhaust shop. which is tough for me considering i work 8-5:30 monday - friday. also i will not leave my car with someone i dont know personally. i dont like people i dont know/trust anywhere near my car when it comes to mechanical work. i know it was stupid of me, like i said i had no time to do it. thanks for your input though :rolleyes:

Same place that flanged my manifold for me also made me a dump tube. I didn't even have the car there ... just told them how I want it to aim.

Regardless of your work schedule and whatnot, you should NEVER drive the car like it was. It should not have taken much time or money to have an exhaust shop make you a dump tube. Dont worry about using 38mm SS piping, just use 1.5" aluminized steel or whatever the shop has on hand, it will work fine. Sorry to here that though. If the alternator is in fact gone, just get a remanufactured one with a lifetime warrantee.

lowridin2g said:

dude i did the internal gate to external gate conversion myself. all i got was two flanges with my wastegate. the gsx is not my daily driver and i meant to get it done but just have no time. not to mention its kind of impossible to obtain stainless steel 38 mm tube. if i could i would have made one up when the conversion was done. the only thing i can do is maybe bring my car to a custom exhaust shop. which is tough for me considering i work 8-5:30 monday - friday. also i will not leave my car with someone i dont know personally. i dont like people i dont know/trust anywhere near my car when it comes to mechanical work. i know it was stupid of me, like i said i had no time to do it. thanks for your input though :rolleyes:
if you knew it was stupid, what did you think we were going to say about your post. it sucks that it happened but you did have 1200 deg blowing in your engine compartment

Dont worry about using 38mm SS piping, just use 1.5" aluminized steel or whatever the shop has on hand, it will work fine.

38mm and 1.5" is the same exact size. it was stupid, end of story i dont need everyones "wow your an idiot" thanks. :dsm:

lowridin2g said:
i dont need everyones "wow your an idiot" thanks. :dsm:
Dude, don't take it like I was being a total asshole. I was just pointing out, as you already know, that it was a bad idea. On a more positive note, I hope my car is ever as good looking or as fast as yours - so you've got me on both of those areas.

It's a classic case of do it right or do it twice. I'm not calling you an idiot by any means - but because you cut corners to get it to run (I know - because you needed a car), you now have a lot of work ahead of you.

The only real comment I have is I'm kinda confused why you're considering selling the car because of this. It was obviously not the car's fault... if you have other reasons, by all means, but you didn't mention those.

It's a hard lesson that I've learned a few times on my own projects. But now you know what needs done and you can correct it. :thumb:

Here is a link where you can get the flange from http://www.roadraceengineering.com/flangesandgaskets.htm

I got all of my mandrel bends from this place:

stainless steel tubing:
http://www.magnumforce.com/SearchResult.aspx?&Manufacturer=9&Vendor=6&KeyWords=stainless

Aluminized steel:
http://www.magnumforce.com/ubend.asp

This way you can get everything together, even cut it and have it ready so all they have to do is weld it in place. Just cut it so that it exists the engine compartment the way you want it to and make reference marks where different angles/rotations line up. You can even take it to a welding shop, they would probably do it for dirt cheap being that you will already have the fabrication done. Hope this helps. :thumb:

lowridin2g said:
Dont worry about using 38mm SS piping, just use 1.5" aluminized steel or whatever the shop has on hand, it will work fine.

38mm and 1.5" is the same exact size. it was stupid, end of story i dont need everyones "wow your an idiot" thanks. :dsm:

Oh, wow, I didn't know it was the exact same size, just figured it would be close enough. Either way, I dont think it would be too hard to get a hold of some of that. Good luck though!

Defiant said:
Humans drive Hondas and such.

We're DSMers, and as soon as we get over the institute wall, there's going to be real trouble.
LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :dsm:

OMG This week has the worst possible weather for that problem!

STFU Brain - you arent getting rid of the GSX :thumbdown . What would you get...hmm I have one guess ;)

haha i know i know. i fixed it. repaired the whole wiring harness and put in a new altenator last thursday night. it sucked. just when i drive it now no boost till i get a dump tube on that biatch :dsm:

lowridin2g said:
haha i know i know. i fixed it. repaired the whole wiring harness and put in a new altenator last thursday night. it sucked. just when i drive it now no boost till i get a dump tube on that biatch :dsm:

Good to hear! Go down and talk to Greg at Lou's Custom, he did my dump tube and charged me cheap. HAHA that kid who owns the silver STi works there not too. But I was just at his shop last friday and he is quite slow. Just make sure you bring your flange for the wastegate. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back