The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Won't turn over

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmpleEclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2004
gold canyon, Arizona
When I get into my car I try to start it and everything sounds and looks right but the car does not turn over. My Safc turns on along with all the normal dash lights and I can hear the fuel pump and when I "crank" the engine over the fuel pump sounds like it is pumping fuel, but there is NOTHING ELSE from the engine. Nothing in the engine bay does anything.
If I disconnect my battery for about 30 min it will start right up. Any less and it will not start. I have a viper alarm with starter-kill and a greddy TT, would either one of those cause something like this? I have not installed anything new that would cause this change, It happened completely randomly. Over the past 3 days it has happened 4 times. Thanks for the help! -Matt

Does the engine crank? Does the starter make a clicking sound? If it does, try hitting that starter with a hammer a couple times! Might have frooze up.

There is no clicking from the starter and the engine is not cranking at all. The only thing making noise is my fuel pump. I disconnected the starter-kill on the alarm and by-passed it back to stock and it still will not start. I can push start the car, so I know its not the factory alarm glitching... -matt

This may sound a little obvious, but have you checked the battery? Components like dash lights, and even the fuel pump and S-AFC take considerably less power than is required to start the engine. Did this occur suddenly, or after installing something new?

Yeah I'd check the battery 1st also heh. If thats not it pull the starter and try to jump test it using a battery.

How about a clicking from within the dash somewhere? If you are not pushing in the clutch far enough to open the clutch-switch contact, the ECU will refuse to tell the starter to do anything.

sounds like the starter is dying, next time your car does it try hitting the starter and if it starts up after you have hit the starter then it is time to get a new one. I had my car do the same thing, All my gauges would come on and I could hear my feul pump but, my car would crank at all. Turned out to be the starter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back