The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

(wont shift) urgent!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffreyinigo

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
i cant shift at all. the car is a 95 rs and i can shift. when the car is off it shifts fine but it when its on it wont. i bled the clutch line but nothing. the pedal is very soft and it barely engages at the bottom. i need the car running help:notgood:

Did you try adjusting the clutch? Are the slave or the master leaking? Peel back the boot on the slave to check it, and look on the firewall on the master to see if there is a trail of fluid.

i tried that but nothing. i figured it would be the clutch but im not sure. if it isnt the slave or the master. could it be the clutch or what else.????

First of all, learn how to type, this is not AIM.?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

So you're saying that you have specifically looked over both the master and slave (clutch release) cylinders? Have someone sit in your car and depress the clutch while you watch the master cylinder and then the slave cylinder; tell us what you see.

ok. well ill do that and ill let you know what happens tomorrow. also, the clutch fluid is consumed very fast when i try to shift fast, so i have to bleed the clutch right after i get home. could this be part of the problem? and also i opened up the clutch fluid reservoir and i saw there were small bubbles coming up one at a time...
thanks

My car had a bad master cylinder and I had real rough engagement and it wouldn't go into gear from time to time. I noticed the interior of my car started to smell so i checked the floorboard under the petals and there was brake fluid running down from my master cylinder. Check the master and slave too. It's not hard.

Also check your freeplay, excessive freeplay will cause disengage-engagement problems.

jeffreyinigo said:
ok. well ill do that and ill let you know what happens tomorrow. also, the clutch fluid is consumed very fast when i try to shift fast, so i have to bleed the clutch right after i get home. could this be part of the problem? and also i opened up the clutch fluid reservoir and i saw there were small bubbles coming up one at a time...
thanks

You just answered your question. As stated, the master and/or slave cylinder is leaking. Best to replace both because if one is leaking, the other is not far behind.

Jim

jeffreyinigo said:
i cant shift at all. the car is a 95 rs and i can shift. when the car is off it shifts fine but it when its on it wont. i bled the clutch line but nothing. the pedal is very soft and it barely engages at the bottom. i need the car running help:notgood:

Soft Pedal = Air in hydraulic system = leak or almost out of fluid.

well i replaced the slave cylinder and bled the system, the soft pedal is gone, but the car wont shift into 2nd, 4th and reverse. like something is blocking it. what else could it be from here.

Alright well you basically did everything you could without taking the tranny out. I believe your clutch is going or possibly your shift forks are damaged. Drop the tranny and see the condition of your clutch and pressureplate assembly.

i did it. i think it just required a little playin with. the gears go in but i noticed they are much shorter than before...

Bleed the system again now that you've been playing with it. Do you have a SS clutch line? If not, buy one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back