The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

wont run

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95'RS-T

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Germansville, Pennsylvania
ok I have been searching for the last week on this. My car will not stay running unless im on the gas. Spark plugs are new as well as wires. It gets spark air and fuel but wont idle but if I give it gas it will rev all the way up to 7grand if i wanted to and then die after I let off the throttle. I dont seem to have any vac leaks or boost leaks I just dont get it. the only thing that could be wrong is the o2 sensor but I dont know.
Edit: The throttle sounds choppy and i get some backfiring from the muffler.

well today i pulled the spark plugs out and 2 were fouled and they were all black. I think I'm gonna need a new o2 sensor since after I replaced the plugs the car was blowing out a bunch of black smoke, but it still wont idle unless I'm on the gas that's what gets me.

I just seen your mod list . are you running an adjustable fuel regulator.i was just thinking that you might be over running your injectors with fuel and fouling the plugs out.

I just seen your mod list . are you running an adjustable fuel regulator.i was just thinking that you might be over running your injectors with fuel and fouling the plugs out.

Yep, over running the stock FPR with the Walbro 255 you have. Also after you fix that, if it still runs like trash, CHECK YOUR TIMING. I had the same problem with my car dying while idling a lot. It's not easy, but its always good to know if its off or on.

no I am not can't afford it right now, but from what I was reading on here that the 255 should be fine with the stock FPR until I get bigger injectors, but it does make sense. I also got a CEL for the o2 sensor. Edit: My narrow band a/f gauge is saying I'm lean.

when I turn the key on it says stoch and then when I crank the car and get it running it says lean but I know now that its running rich so the o2 must be bad because the gauge runs from the signal from the o2 correct?

when I turn the key on it says stoch and then when I crank the car and get it running it says lean but I know now that its running rich so the o2 must be bad because the gauge runs from the signal from the o2 correct?

that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad . mine reads lean at idle and as soon as i step on the gas it reads stoich to rich. it really sounds like you need a fuel reg.

no I am not can't afford it right now, but from what I was reading on here that the 255 should be fine with the stock FPR until I get bigger injectors, but it does make sense. I also got a CEL for the o2 sensor. Edit: My narrow band a/f gauge is saying I'm lean.

It's the 190 your thinking of. I have personal experience with this. I had the 255 and switched to the 190 because of the cost. I even bought an AFPR and couldnt get it working correctly, so I sold that and the 255 and bought a 190.

So what your saying is you do not have $70 for an AFPR? If you do not have money to make the car run right, you should probably consider selling it and buying another car.

I'm guessing you have one of those "Blinky-Blinky" AFR gauges. Honestly the only thing more useless than those is an electronic supercharger. Not flaming. Just letting you know.

I highly doubt you're over-running the stock FPR with what I assume is a basically stock fuel system. I ran the stock FPR on my crazy/awesome turbo for a year and never had issues. What I did notice is that you have no fuel or tuning mods listed other than the Walbro with that 16g. This might have something to do with your issue.

Your next buys HAVE to be:

-At least some 550's. But some 650's will get you farther
-Some kind of tuning equipment (SAFC or MAFT for example)
-A real wideband.

But all that aside. When did you first notice the issue? After the turbo install? What mods had you just done prior?

But all that aside. When did you first notice the issue? After the turbo install? What mods had you just done prior?
I did not do anything to the car except replace the coil packs and ECU. I know the gauge is useless. The problem has existed ever since I first started the car.

So what your saying is you do not have $70 for an AFPR? If you do not have money to make the car run right, you should probably consider selling it and buying another car.
No what I'm saying is I'm laid off from work until March and have other financial obligations that need most of the little income I have right now.

So will the AFPR fix this problem? Because if it will I will save and get one. thanks

Probably not. I'd try some tuning equipment first. Either that or get yourself a DD. :thumb:

Took me a year of driving my toy to discover..."Hey! This thing is not effing reliable at all!"

I did not do anything to the car except replace the coil packs and ECU. I know the gauge is useless. The problem has existed ever since I first started the car.

No what I'm saying is I'm laid off from work until March and have other financial obligations that need most of the little income I have right now.

So will the AFPR fix this problem? Because if it will I will save and get one. thanks

You mentioned an ECU... I had a problem with a blown capacitor in my ECU and I waste money on TONS of parts targeting Air/Fuel ratio.

I would swap or buy/sell ecu.

When I first got the car there was a problem with it not firing on all 4 coils and I replaced the coil pack, ICM, crank, and cam sensors and it still wouldn't work. I sent the ECU to ECMtuning to have them check it out. I had the ECU repaired and they replaced the capacitors and the IC3 (for the coils) chip along with a socket service and they found nothing else wrong with it. To answer the question, I'm sure this problem was always present.

OK so would the car run right with a AFPR (set at 43psi), 255, and stock boost setting. Till I have enough to start really modding? Also Thank you for all the info Blondechik you have been most helpful

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back