The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

wierd noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPEED-RACER 97

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2002
Aurora, Colorado
I have a 1997 GS auto. The car shifts fine in normal driving, but when it shifts at red line, it makes this wierd kazoo like sound. I rarely get on it but when I do I cringe and worry when I hear this whizzing sound. Any ideas on what it might be?

(p.s. it sounds like the sound is coming for the passenger side...)

Originally posted by SPEED-RACER 97
I have a 1997 GS auto. The car shifts fine in normal driving, but when it shifts at red line, it makes this wierd kazoo like sound. I rarely get on it but when I do I cringe and worry when I hear this whizzing sound. Any ideas on what it might be?

(p.s. it sounds like the sound is coming for the passenger side...)

Unfortunately, it's tough to diagnose a noise without hearing it.

-John

Try to find a reputable general repair shop to diagnose it for you. Many transmission shops out there will always try to blame the trans, even if it is something else.

-John

I was driving home the other night and heard the same kazoo like sound your talking about. It happens up around 4.5-5k RPM. I don't know what it is. If you get anymore info please please please post about it. Thanks.

My friend seems to think it is car audio relatated, in that excess engine noise is being transmitted thought your speakers. If you have an aftermarket system like me, it might be the case. But I still think the sound is comming from behind me, my GF thinkings its comming from up around the front wheel, on the passenger side, right where the tranny is located.

Turn the radio and amps off. Does it still do it? if not then it was probably the stereo

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back