The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Which GSX's came with LSD rear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just used Edmunds, and apparently rear LSD's were options on the 97's & 98's, and came standard on 99's.
Now that sucks.
I guess I'll have to find a wrecked 99 in a junk yard and rip out the entire rear sub-frame.

Here's a link to the standard features of the 99, notice that rear LSD's are standard features.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/mitsubishi/eclipse/13326/standard.html
Here's a link to the standard features of the 98, notice no rear LSD.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/mitsubishi/eclipse/13287/standard.html
Here's a link to the options for a 98.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/mitsubishi/eclipse/13287/options.html

The 97 has even more options that came standard on the 98.

***edit If your car does in fact have a rear LSD there will be an orange sticker stating that it has a "Vicous Rear Differential" or something like that in the rear drivers side door jamb.***

Daren my man, you are correct.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1995/mitsubishi/eclipse/2733/standard.html
The 95's did come standard with a rear LSD according to Edmunds.
And so did the 96's WTF...
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1996/mitsubishi/eclipse/12470/standard.html
So, I guess Mitsu had to make up some money somewhere by making the LSD rears an option so they could make up the money they spent on redesigning the front and rears of the cars........ LOL
What a fuggin joke....
Well, at least now I know I can get a rear suspension set-up from 95-96, and a 99 GSX.

daren_p said:
I haven't really looked into this as Im fwd, but I thought it was the 95's that came with the LSD? I have a buddy that got a stock 95 and he claims that the car has a rear LSD...

He could have any year and have a LSD. I believe you could always order them as an option (with the exception of the choice between LSD and ABS in the early years).

If the 2G rear diff is similar to the 1G it will also say it on the differential (a small plate reading "LSD" and some numbers below it. I don't remember what the open differentials say and I'm too lazy to go look.

You can also check by jacking the car up and spinning one of the rear wheels. If they both spin the same way, you have a limited slip diff. If they spin opposite directions you have an open diff.

Hey!

If the 95-96 Eclipses came stock with the LSD rear axle, does that apply with the Talon as well? I was told before that the Talon and the Eclipse, even though they were the same, came with different options and whatnot. I don't believe it's true, but I can't call bullshiet until I find out :p

Howie~

I have a '96 Talon AWD and don't have a sticker stating I have an LSD, so if I had to guess, I'd say they didn't come standard on Talons.

Talon, eclipses we are all the same...we are one big family.... go DSM woot woot!!...LOL :dsm: :talon:

VicBoost said:
Talon, eclipses we are all the same.
Nope, they are pretty much the same car but they are not all the same. Clearly the cosmetics are different. The way they were equiped is also different.

Steve

I have noticed that most Talon AWD in the 95-96 range do not have LSD rear diffs. Yet nearly all Eclipse GSX that I have seen from 95-96 did have a LSD. I think Eagle skimped on the rear diff to cut a few $$ off of the cost of the car, Talons were cheaper then the Eclipses but most of it has to do with the sterio and other options.

Edmunds list of standard features for:

95 Talon TSI AWD
Bucket Seats
Center Console
Fog Lights
Limited Slip Differential
Power Brakes
Rear Window Defroster
16 Inch Wheels
2.0L Turbocharged I4 DOHC 16V FI Engine
5-Speed Manual Transmission
Tachometer
Alloy Wheels
Driver and Passenger Front Airbags
Cloth Seats
Cruise Control
Power Steering
Tilt Steering Wheel
Leather Steering Wheel Trim
Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Power Windows
Rear Window Wiper
Power Door Locks
Power Exterior Mirrors
AM/FM/Cassette Audio System
Rear Spoiler
---24 items

95 Eclipse GSX
Bucket Seats
Center Console
Fog Lights
Limited Slip Differential
Power Antenna
Power Brakes
Rear Window Defroster
16 Inch Wheels
2.0L Turbocharged I4 DOHC 16V FI Engine
5-Speed Manual Transmission
Tachometer
Alloy Wheels
Driver and Passenger Front Airbags
Leather Seats
Power Driver Seat
Cruise Control
Power Steering
Tilt Steering Wheel
Leather Steering Wheel Trim
Air Conditioning
Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Power Windows
Rear Window Wiper
Power Door Locks
Power Exterior Mirrors
AM/FM/Cassette Audio System
Infinity Audio
Rear Spoiler
---28 Items

Hey I have a question someone might be able to answer while on the subject...

Do the "dealer demo" vehicles always have every option + maximum upgrade options? I bought my Talon from the original owner, and he said it was the dealer demo when he bought it... My car seems pretty loaded and has all those options of the GSX listed above...

What I don't understand is, if GSX = AWD, then why wouldn't they all have come with a LSD? But then, I never understood why the GS-Ts didn't come with a LSD either since it had the "high performance" engine. Sorta like buying a muscle car (in their day) and it only having 1 wheel drive...

Piranha451 said:
I never understood why the GS-Ts didn't come with a LSD either since it had the "high performance" engine. Sorta like buying a muscle car (in their day) and it only having 1 wheel drive...
It's not too surprising. None of the cars FWD or AWD came with a front LSD or the option of front LSD.

Back in the day of the muscle car unless you ordered LSD you often had 1 wheel drive. They didn't all come standard with one.

xveganxcowboyx said:
You can also check by jacking the car up and spinning one of the rear wheels. If they both spin the same way, you have a limited slip diff. If they spin opposite directions you have an open diff.
I don't think I missed reading it in this thread or anything, but you know they have a sticker in the door that says if it has an LSD. My 90 AWD talon and my friends 95 AWD talon both have the sticker on the drivers door that states a warning that the car is equipt with a rear LSD. Of course, putting the car in the air and spining the wheels is the way to be 100% sure.

i dont think my 95 has LSD... when in the air i am pretty sure the the tires spun opposite... but not 100% sure, will check for a sticker tomorrow :D...
Hmmm mine is also an early batch of 95 (1994 build date) has an actual DSM sticker in the engine bay...:rocks:

Well,

I checked for the sticker on my Talon, and it doesn't say anything about LSD... Because it was a standard option, could someone opt for it NOT to have the LSD or will it always haev the sticker if it is LSD?

HOwie~

xSojooxShotzx said:
Well,

I checked for the sticker on my Talon, and it doesn't say anything about LSD... Because it was a standard option, could someone opt for it NOT to have the LSD or will it always haev the sticker if it is LSD?

HOwie~

My Eclipse does not have a sticker anywhere under the axles or at the door jams saying it has any type of LSD, but when I lift up the car and spin the back tires they turn counter clock wise from each other. That indicates a good thing, right?

edmonds, kbb and nada really arn't very accurate about the options on older vehicles(I'm a car dealer so I see this all the time). Actually the tsi awd's and the gsx's came with fore different trim levels(vfaq), with different options for each level. Decoding the trim levels is still a mystery to me and I've searched. However the lsd was not included on all trim levels, so you could say it was an option. I've also noticed that a lot more gsx's were loaded and have the lsd then talons. Also your car will always have the sticker in the drivers door jab so that the manufacturer is not libel if you don't tow the car on a flatbed. All lsds also say so on a metalplate on the rearend itself. So far it seems to me that all leather cars have the lsd. I hope this helps you out.

DSMcamaro said:
I don't think I missed reading it in this thread or anything, but you know they have a sticker in the door that says if it has an LSD. My 90 AWD talon and my friends 95 AWD talon both have the sticker on the drivers door that states a warning that the car is equipt with a rear LSD. Of course, putting the car in the air and spining the wheels is the way to be 100% sure.

Yeah, I was just adding in other ways to tell. The sticker could have been peeled off or someone (like myself) could have swapped in a LSD rear.

Alucards_blood said:
My Eclipse does not have a sticker anywhere under the axles or at the door jams saying it has any type of LSD, but when I lift up the car and spin the back tires they turn counter clock wise from each other. That indicates a good thing, right?

If you mean they spin in opposite directions (IE you spin the drivers side wheel forward and the passenger wheel spins backward) you have an open differential. If they both spin forward or backward at the same time you have a limited slip.

xveganxcowboyx said:
Yeah, I was just adding in other ways to tell. The sticker could have been peeled off or someone (like myself) could have swapped in a LSD rear.

If you mean they spin in opposite directions (IE you spin the drivers side wheel forward and the passenger wheel spins backward) you have an open differential. If they both spin forward or backward at the same time you have a limited slip.

What's the more desirable option? If what you say is true, then I have an open diff.

lsd is more desirable. A lsd car is a three wheel drive, and a open diff car is a two wheel drive.

Daren my man, you are correct.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1995/mitsubishi/eclipse/2733/standard.html
The 95's did come standard with a rear LSD according to Edmunds.
And so did the 96's WTF...
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1996/mitsubishi/eclipse/12470/standard.html
So, I guess Mitsu had to make up some money somewhere by making the LSD rears an option so they could make up the money they spent on redesigning the front and rears of the cars........ LOL
What a fuggin joke....
Well, at least now I know I can get a rear suspension set-up from 95-96, and a 99 GSX.
This may be a stupid question but if the rear was LSD would that also imply the front must be as well?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back