The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Whats the difference between 1g, 2g & 3g lifters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmGSTtuner

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2012
lexington, South_Carolina
How can i tell if i have 1g, 2g or 3g lifters without removing them? I have a set of lifters out my old engine with a gaping hole on top. From what i understand they are the 3g lifters. Does anyone have any pics of them?

Well one thing to understand is the "3g" lifters are not from 3g Eclipses. The term 3g is just used. The "3g" lifters are revised versions of our lifters. Someone may be able to explain why they use the term "3g".

Anyways, here are a few comparison pictures I found online.
"3g" lifter and a 1g DSM lifter.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I believe these two pictures are of a factory 2g DSM lifter, and the 3g revised.

Hope this helps.

If they have the 3mm hole in the top then they are the 3rd revision of the lifter.

The latter two pictures are from my build and a little misleading. :D They mainly show the difference between legitimate 3G lifters (left) and Ebay 3g lifters (right). But, the much larger hole is what is to be noticed. I have never seen much difference between 1g and 2g lifters, they both have mere pinhole sized oil releif holes. The 3g and "revised" lifters have a much larger hole to allow for more flow. A clogged lifter is a noisy lifter.

I have always accepted that they are known as "3G" lifters becuase they are found in the 3rd generation 4g63: The Evo 4g63. But regardless of name, 3g or revised, they are the same.

okay thanks!! The info is well appreciated! Isnt there an easy way to change out the lifters while keeping the cams in? I have a set of 3g lifters and i believe the lifters that are in my engine now a the 1g lifters. Is it worth it to change them all out?

The main reason im changing them out is because i have this loud "clack" and i think its because all but one of my lifters are pumped up. One lifter i can push down with my finger..

okay thanks!! The info is well appreciated! Isnt there an easy way to change out the lifters while keeping the cams in? I have a set of 3g lifters and i believe the lifters that are in my engine now a the 1g lifters. Is it worth it to change them all out?

The main reason im changing them out is because i have this loud "clack" and i think its because all but one of my lifters are pumped up. One lifter i can push down with my finger..

I believe it would be well worth changing them out. The noise alone gets annoying.

You can buy this $35 tool to change them out like so.

Lash Adjuster Removal Tool - YouTube

I myself probably wouldn't recommend this way, but it must have worked for the guy filming the video.

4G63 Lifter removal without special tool part 1 - YouTube

Make sure to soak them in oil and bleed them before doing it too.

Bleeding 4g63 lifters - YouTube

thanks alot DSM IN MN!! very useful videos! Also to bud92gsx, to tell you the truth i really dont know the difference between the two hahaha. Im sorry bro!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back