The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

What would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20psimitsu

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 22, 2002
San Antonio, Texas
I'm doing some renovations and new upgrades on the car with some undecided changes. I thinking of doing a fuel cell with a sump in the back or to still use the factory GSX tank. The car needs to be legal for turbo street and I racking my brain :confused:trying figure out which way to do this. Any wise input would be great!!!!:thumb:

P

I'm not real sure because I have not attempted something like this but I would say if you go with a fuel cell you would probley want to take off the stock gas tank for some weight savings and make sure you block all that off so no water gets up in your car, then you would have to probley gut the bottom of the hatch area and secure the fuel cell real nice and level, and the rest would just be running lines and wires...

I'm thinking about cuting out the spare tire area and covering the rear section with sheet metal. Then make an access door and mount the fuel cell under the sheet metal with some braces.

I looked at the rules over and over but it doesn't say alot about how you can mount the fuel cell. I know I can't put it in the hatch without making a box for it.

The main rule when mounting a fuel cell is that it has to be separated from the drivers compartment. Separating material and thickness varies from one sanctioning body to the next but that should be located somewhere in the rulebook.

Under the hatch with a sheetmetal top and access door is the best and safest route. As long as the class you want to run allows fuel cells, go for it. Just get a breakdown on the rules for how the cell needs to be supported because they will tech it.

Some sanctioning bodies require a dropped cell to be mounted in a 5 sided cage built of no less than 3/4" square tube and 2 securing straps across the top of no less than 3/4" wide and no less than 1/8" thickness. The top of the cell cannot be any higher than the top of the rear tires with the car in a resting position.

Nopi allows fuel cells in turbo street and the rest of the local events it would be legal. I read about the cage around the cell but in my case, I won't need one. Thanks for the info and all of ya'lls opinions.

P

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back