The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

What else is needed to run 12's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992awdlaser

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2004
Wallace, North_Carolina
Basically I want to run 12's and have my car as a daily driver. I am a pretty good driver so that wont be a problem.
My mods are:
Free mods
190lph fp
perrin mbc
Buschur 3" turboback
prothane motor mounts
Buschur 16g turbo outlet
Buschur O2 dump
K&n filter
Dejon tool intake
2g throttle body elbow
Sbr cast exhaust manifold
Autometer boost Gauge
back seat removed
no spare tire or tools

Parts waiting to receive:
Buschur b16g turbo
Fic 660's
Dsmlink

I don't need to know what time you think I will run. I just want to know if anybody thinks I need something else to run 12's.

Well as long as you get in a decent tune and set the boost fairly high, I think you should definately be able to hit your goal of 12's. A fmic is most likely not necessary right now for 12's, but at higher boost levels it would help. Tell us how you do.
-Andrew

Like the others said, you should be able to run 12s easily with less than you have mentioned. The 16G, DSMLink, and 660s will help you run low 12s. You should take it to the track and see if you can get close to 12s now. Even if you run high 13s it'll be good practice. Then when you come back after your new turbo you should easily run 12s. This way you won't be one of the many people who upgrade their cars and then are disappointed at their track times.

I'm running 13.3's on the stock 14B and SMIC at 16 psi. Boost leak and some knock in 3-4 gear kept me out 13.0-13.1 range.

That 16g and a good tune, should put you low 12's I think.

dont forget a good clutch and lightened flywheel to hold all that power and get those good 60' times.

i havent ever been to the 12's let alone the 13's yet but are you guys serious about him getting 12's? i have nearly the same setup as him and with a shitty tune i ran a 14.7(keywords shitty and tune)
I guess its the fact that ive always been afraid of blowing my motor (seen it happen too many times) so ive run lower boost and less aggressive tunes until i feel that my setup is ready for it. now im not the best driver in the world but every time ive been to the track i can put down consistent numbers all night long with usually each pass getting better than the last, im pretty sure that i have some bars at driving.

in the next few weeks im putting on injectors, afpr, fmic, and 2g mas. am i to expect 12's with that with a good tune? i was thinking of about 18-20 lbs of boost on 91 octane with that setup. If i hit like a 13.2 with all that id be dancing on the hood of my car. But do you guys think 12s?

sorry not trying to jack the thread... ive been in the dsm world for like 2 years and i was never under the impression that you could hit 12's that easy... never seen it either maybe its this california smog restrictions and 91 octane... :confused:

The stock headgasket is rumored to hold around 20-22 psi. Just make sure your headstuds are properly torqued and you should be safe. Running race gas also makes 12s a lot easier... I wouldn't even dream of going to the track and running with 91 octane. I'm so sorry you guys have to put up with that.

P.S. It is possible to run 13s using the T-25 with only an exhaust, MBC, and UICP. Marc Struhl did it.

you head gasket will be good for alot... I talke to a guy running an OEM head gasket at 35-38 psi with no problems

T9S1i said:
dont forget a good clutch and lightened flywheel to hold all that power and get those good 60' times.

Would you care to expand upon why he needs a lightened flywheel to hold all that power, get those good 60’ times, and run 12s?

NeOzz1 said:
you head gasket will be good for alot... I talke to a guy running an OEM head gasket at 35-38 psi with no problems

With or without ARPs? Care to provide more information about this “guy’s” setup?

ISUJakey said:
Would you care to expand upon why he needs a lightened flywheel to hold all that power, get those good 60’ times, and run 12s?

With or without ARPs? Care to provide more information about this “guy’s” setup?

sorry thats all the info i have, i believe its with arps though, it was one of there main mechanics so i dont see why he would lie to me

ARPs don't stretch as much as the stock head studs so using ARPs will help. I don't know if the stock gasket could hold 38 psi without the studs being overtorqued. That amount of boost should be run with the metal head gasket that Mitsubishi offers. That's all that needs to be said about that.

Moral of the story is that as long as your studs are properly torqued you should be able to run enough boost to get you well into the 12s.

T9S1i said:

i havent ever been to the 12's let alone the 13's yet but are you guys serious about him getting 12's? i have nearly the same setup as him and with a shitty tune i ran a 14.7(keywords shitty and tune)
I guess its the fact that ive always been afraid of blowing my motor (seen it happen too many times) so ive run lower boost and less aggressive tunes until i feel that my setup is ready for it. now im not the best driver in the world but every time ive been to the track i can put down consistent numbers all night long with usually each pass getting better than the last, im pretty sure that i have some bars at driving.

in the next few weeks im putting on injectors, afpr, fmic, and 2g mas. am i to expect 12's with that with a good tune? i was thinking of about 18-20 lbs of boost on 91 octane with that setup. If i hit like a 13.2 with all that id be dancing on the hood of my car. But do you guys think 12s?

sorry not trying to jack the thread... ive been in the dsm world for like 2 years and i was never under the impression that you could hit 12's that easy... never seen it either maybe its this california smog restrictions and 91 octane... :confused:

I ran a 13.7 with a 1.8 60' with my 14B and really really crappy tuning. I was overflowing my stock FPR and the car just wouldn't pull up top because it was running so rich. I only trapped 95 MPH so you can tell the car had no top end.

I basically have the same set-up that you do (1992awdlaser) and I shouldn't have any problems with hitting a mid/high 12. I am trying to go to the track this weekend with a couple of buddies and I will let you know how I do if we do end up going. I might even have a video if I can ever get my firewire card in here.

1992awdlaser said:
Basically I want to run 12's and have my car as a daily driver. I am a pretty good driver so that wont be a problem.
My mods are:
Free mods
190lph fp
perrin mbc
Buschur 3" turboback
prothane motor mounts
Buschur 16g turbo outlet
Buschur O2 dump
K&n filter
Dejon tool intake
2g throttle body elbow
Atr exhaust manifold
Autometer boost Gauge
back seat removed
no spare tire or tools

Parts waiting to receive:
Buschur b16g turbo
Fic 660's
Dsmlink

I don't need to know what time you think I will run. I just want to know if anybody thinks I need something else to run 12's.

with this setup and the stuff you are waiting on with a good tune, you should be a 12.0 if not in the 11's easy.

you should be good with what you have. Just make sure you tune it correctly.

p.s. a good driver compared to a nervous driver, who misses gears/shifts slow, has slow reaction off the tree, or boggs the car on launch, can mean the difference between a 14 sec timeslip and a 12 sec timeslip.

DevilSperm said:
with this setup and the stuff you are waiting on with a good tune, you should be a 12.0 if not in the 11's easy.

i wouldnt say 11's on the stock smic is easy.....

T9S1i said:

I'm running all my smog stuff, except the Cat :)

91 octane is going to limit you, these cars are supposed to run 93 stock...how are you getting away with 91?? 110 isn't available at the tracks in California?

I'm not sure your motor will survive 20psi on 91 oct.

ISUJakey said:

I mostly meant the clutch to hold the power. But most people will buy a lightened flywheel along with their clutch.

p.s. a good driver compared to a nervous driver, who misses gears/shifts slow, has slow reaction off the tree, or boggs the car on launch, can mean the difference between a 14 sec timeslip and a 12 sec timeslip.

yeah id say im a good driver and the only category that i fit in there is the bad shifting..... i granny shift the hell out of my car (not like 2000rpm drops between shifts) but i really dont rip back on the shifter. (clutch/clutch pedal/ trans issues) since ive installed dsmlink with the nlts i have noticed when i shift without lifting up i get a VERY NOTICIBLE pickup on shifts... like i could drop my time considerably if i used that at the track.

anyways to answer a couple other questions... my car has 186,000 on the block and chasis old,tired car i guess it takes more for me to run fast and consistent. without modding something and blowing something or breaking it every time i do mod or make more power. the head is way newer with a good head gasket and arp studs. and i havent been to the track with the new tranny.
yes 91 octane is a curse. 100 octane is availible, but its at least 20 miles away .
my car is faster since i put a new trans in and dsmlink to tune with so hopefully at the moment im in the low 14's and then when i put the rest of the parts on i should be able to drop another second in the 1/4. Yeah the car has no top end... 88 mph traps for mid 14's... i used to have a 90 gst that ran 15.0 at 95, all it had was a catback, fuel pump and afc and i couldnt get traction through 3rd... crazy top end in that car

anyways good luck with the setup... i hope 12's really are that easy to reach... just havent had the best of luck with my 2 dsm's thus far

Why stop at 12's with that setup and a wideband(zeitronix) and some race gas, lightened car and a good tune you can do 11's OMG

Ok 12's isnt as easy as everyone is making it out to be, but it is realisticaly easy to get there. Dont run a 2G mas on your car, even with DSMLink run the link/MAFT combo.

What about engine buildup? (new pistons? cams? gaskets?)
Fuel Pressure Regulator?
Gauges? (EGT exc)
Suspension
Driveline

just some crap, much more is needed on a daily driver

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back