The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Warm engine stalls at start-up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskanDsm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have done some searching lately and I can't seem to find anything that answers my questions. If anyone can direct me to something else that reminds you of my problem please by all means direct me! haha

After I drive my car to somewhere once its up to temp and turn off the car and go inside everything is fine car runs great not issues. But when I get back in the car and go to start it, it turns over catches and then it goes from 1000rpm to 0 but it tries to catch it from going under about 700 but it still stalls... But if i give it gas it stays running with no problems. Sometimes if i start it it won't stall but catch at about 400rpm and then bounce bcak to 800-1000rpm and then kind of bounce back and forth a couple times between low and high and then settle at idle....WTF.

I really don't know where to start diagnosing this. I have a camera and can take pictures and video if needed. I could really use some help. Thanks.

As far as I know everything should still be there. Also when I rebuilt the engine I spent 2 hours ripping out all the vacuum lines and rewiring them so that they were aligned with the diagram in my Haynes manual and they were all out of wack before.

I don't know if the turbo vacuum lines are the same as the N/T, but if so, check your thermo vacuum valve lines. I am having the same issue with my 92 n/t right now, and it was originally a bad line running from the bottom of the thermo housing to the top of the throttle body. I replaced the bad one and it ran fine til the other night when another one went. replaced it yesterday when I was cleaning my TB. still having problems, but I think it may be either my EGR valve, charcoal can, or my manifold absolute pressure sensor.

When I figure it out entirely and fix it, I will give you more info, and see if that may be your problem also.

I can take a look at my vacuum lines tonight and see how things look. See if anything came off. But I have been keeping an eye on my engine since the rebuild but its always possible that you can overlook something.

I checked all my vacuum line and they all looked connected and they still seemed to be in good condition. I did some searching about possible ECU issues but My car didn't seem to fit any of those symptoms...thankfully.

Did you try bumping the idle up a couple hundred rpm? This would help it to not stumble on startup and I am curious if it will help. Don't forget to ground the adjustment connectors.

You could look into the idle surge fixes.

Terry's Talon Troubleshooting Tips #3 - Fast Idle (aka. Idle Surge)

Maybe that video feed would help out a little...

This definatly sounds like a small vacuum leak. You manifold itself can be leaking or a injector ring could be rotted out. Look to see if one is leaking fuel. Mine have done the same thing. It throws a engine light and says it has a small vacuum leak. If I let the car sit all night and reset the ECU it will run perfect for another 3-4 days before it does it agian. I also found that my O2 was out. I replace the O2 and spark plugs and now the Idle is the best it has ever been. :beatentodeath:

Codename: Upgrade, Xbox 360 Talon
I am having my system smoked to find all the leaks. Then we will get them all ( or just one) at one time to fix the vacuum leake issue.

well, I feel positive that its not an idle issue. The car runs perfectly outside of this little thing. I didnt think to check the injector rings but I will definitely take a peak as well as take a look at that video just in case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back