The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

waited about 10 min for it to warm up, I been hearing a clicking noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdsmtnr96

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2005
Des Moines, Iowa
This morning I started my car... waited about 10 min for it to warm up, I been hearing a clicking noise.. I'm not totally sure where it is coming from. I know its coming from the back of the engine. Like the intake manifold. But I know that its not a gasket or anything because when I put my motor back together me and my motor guy Replaced all the gaskets and everything. Everything has been replaced. Now here’s my issue, I think that a auto store sold me some bad injectors or something. Its totally coming from the intake area. Is this ticking normal? Oh yah a little more info on my motor. everything from top to bottom has been replaced, Lifters, valves... except cams and coil pack. I’m asking a lot of questions cause I’m not sure what it is. My motor now has 1700 miles on it. Car runs good idle is a little off. like 800-900 not sure if that is normal either.. But maybe I’m just Paranoid. I’m not sure what could be causing the clicking. Could injectors click? I want to replace them with bigger ones or Rc injectors.. any one have any suggestions or anything? My current set up is.

Wesco low compression pistons
Eagle rods
Chrome molly crank
Stainless steel ferrea valves
Crane valve springs
Stock cams
Ported and polished head
Low compression head gasket
Arp head studs

I dont think that it should be ticking, any one has any idea i would appreciate any idea's
thanks
Lance

Injectors will click when they fire. Put your hand on the injectors to see if they are clicking enough for it to be noticable by sound.

where'd you get a chrome molly crank and low compression head gasket ? just giving you a hard time man. Injectors don't really tick but lifters do!!! if you put a stethoscope on an injector you can hear it operate (ticking sound) but it's not something you would hear normally though.

I use to work for hairys heads haha port shop.... :) but um you think it could be bad injectors? they usualy make a click? i wanna replace them... I've got a fmu and turbo kit to be running 6 pounds.. what size should i go with if i figure it is bad injctors?

I can here my injectors without even getting close if the hood is open. But then again my injectors are 1000's and my stock ones were not quite as loud but I could still here them. And I would be willing to bet they can get louder when they are going bad.

Check and make sure all of your plug wires are all the way plugged into the coil pack. If one is coming out a little bit, the car will still run, but you'll hear the click in that area. You might also hear a click if one of your plug wires is bad.

depends on how fast the ticking noise is. If its a fast ticking noise then its probably your injectors. I know that after market injectors tick louder than stock injectors.

Buy/build a stethoscope to minimize guessing.

Use stock sized injectors if you will be using an FMU to control fuel during boost.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back