The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Voltage light BUT good alternator and battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slo2gen

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate, South_Carolina
Just like the title says, I posted the other day about my voltage light being on so I took it to Advanced Autoparts and got them to check my battery and alternator. Both of them are good but the light still comes on sometimes and others it doesn't. The only other thing that I can think of is a short or bad ground. I did hook up my SAFC II and a boost gauge but all connections were solderd and taped excessively(sp?).

Did you have them test you alternator whale it was in the car all hooked up, If so that doesn't work to great also when checking your battery it works better to unhook it to test. Ive had them bad and there equipment not tell me that it was dying. To test the alternator you can get a voltmeter and test between the battery terminals and it should hold about 13.4V or so when the car is running if it fluctuates much or is lower than that you alternator is going bad and wont charge all the way. Good luck on your mystery.

A good battery voltage will read around 12.6v anything under that i would be concerned about.. check your battery then go to your alternator... if your charging system is operating properly under load, it should never drop below .5v's over base voltage. then i would look at replacing your alternator.. make sure your battery terminals are clean, and all have good connections also... very important...

Seemed to be the terminals so far, thing is that they didn't look bad? I will keep you informed if it still does it.

Ok found it! My alternator belt was slipping, sometimes it would grab, sometimes it wouldn't. It was causing tremendous squeeling and voltage drop. I went outside to put a tensioner bolt in it and tighten it up but I am missing a bolt and nut at the top of the alternator. Now the belt dosen't even turn the alternator.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back