The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Volk wheel repair or replace?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate Crisman

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2008
Blairstown, New_Jersey
I'v got a set of Volk CE28N wheels off a parts car gvr4, I'd like to somehow salvage these things as they are stupid light (something like 9lb each).

This car was run off the road and the pass rear wheel hit a rock causing the dent (as well as totaling the car). Two of the other wheels seem straight, but have some edge rash. One is pretty much perfect. Online I'm seeing these wheels at $499 to $550 a wheel, but I'v only seen bronze or silver for sale. I'd really hate to have to pony up $500 for one replacement to make a useable set.

They are 4 x 114.3 bolt pattern. +43mm offset. 15"x7.0" Black in color.

I'm not sure how sellable these are going to be with the curb rash, and Im sure a wheel repair place will ruin the coating in the process of trying to straighen that dent if it's even possible.

Best wheel
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Second best wheel with some minor rash

Worst Rash, but looks straight

Dented...obviously needs professional repair

Anyone have any advise? That dent look fixable? If so any recommendation for a wheel repair shop to take or send it to?

I'm thinking the rash could maybe be sanded & smoothed down by hand file to be a little less noticeable, then spray the outside 1" lip of all 4 wheels to look the same. If all 4 hold air and are straight, I'd put 4-lug GVR4 hubs on my 1G and use these wheels if I can't sell them due to cosmetics. Have to sell my 16" QTP's and buy a set of 15" slicks though.

In regards to the curb rash on the wheels, get a dremel with a wire wheel or maybe better and smooth them out, but be sure NOT to remove any real material. Just smooth it out cautiously. Tape off and paint the outer lip on all 4 like you stated.
The dent,...can be fixed at a wheel repair shop. If you try and do it yourself you wont get it close enough and it will be unbalanced. I would get a good estimate to repair it professionally, if its close to the $400 mark then just get a replacement. Also, be sure you checked the inner wheel to ensure there are not dents there too. Rims can dent on both walls, not just the one you see.
Good luck, they seem nice.

Take them to a professional. Wheel repair isn't something I would try myself because there is a high probability that they will a.) look like crap. b.) ruin the wheel.

Get a professional oppinion. If that wheel is only ~9lbs, that big of a hit could have trashed the rim. That may not be true, but the wheel may have absorbed the impact all the through and caused it to become egg shaped in 2 different ways. Almost like a diamond. You won't be able to see it by eye, it will have to be put on a machine. Atleast by the pic posted, i think you should be able to get it fixed. Good Luck!!!

take them all to a wheel repair shop get a quote, if it cost you 6-700 to have them fixed and re-coated you still have an amazing set of wheels. I know I would do this if i came across them!

We do rim straightening where i work, if you heat that bend it MAY come out. But we do not heat them at work because it makes the rim very weak. Without any heat im betting thats going to crack upon straightening. Sry to be the bearer of bad news, but i wish you the best of luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back