The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnWoRtHy

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2004
Chaplin, Connecticut
This question is specifically posed to any of you out there that own a 95 and up Talon TSi, but if anyone else can offer an opinion, please do. I got to thinking about this the other day, so I figured I'd ask. I'd like to install a turbo in my car, which is currently naturally aspirated. Would it be cheaper and easier for me to try to hunt down a stock turbo setup? Or go aftermarket?

I'm not really looking for performance that'll tear my face off every time I think about the gas pedal, but I recently got to take a spin in a bone stock 97 Talon TSi and the turbo really seems like a whole lotta fun. Of course, it was also a manual transmission, so to me with an N/A automatic, of course it's going to seem like a whole 'nother beast. So to anyone who may have upgraded their turbos and still have their stocker sitting around in their garage, willing to sell it? And if I CAN find a stock setup, would it be a bolt and go type deal? Or will I have to go through and change a whole bunch of other parts and have my computer reprogrammed?

Also, I'm seriously considering a transmission swap. There's nothing WRONG with my automatic, but I've really always wanted a standard. It's just more fun that way. Thing is, is a transmission swap really feasible cost-wise? And is it even possible to find a tranny and all the hardware for the conversion?

Anyway...my apologies for being so turbo/tranny ignorant, but the more I ask, the more I learn. Appreciate any help.

I would suggest just saving time and money and buying a turbo/5sp. and selling your car, or keep it if you don't really need the money.

There are no stock turbo setups for N/A motors. You have a 420A Chrysler engine which has nothing to do with the turbo Mitsu one. Just buy a turbo kit for it. You'll get more power from a turbo kit than a stock turbo Mitsu motor puts out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back