The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Upgraded fuel injectors for N/A motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdsmtnr96

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2005
Des Moines, Iowa
A few days ago i got my engine all put back togetther again.. a port and polish, the mechanic says that i have to up grade my injectors. :notgood: Because i have a intake, intake maifold, port and polish complete, Headers, Full exhaust. He said that i need new injectors Performance because he checked my injectors and they are running at highest imput. Do you think is is correct? I also called RC injectors and they sugjested cant spell... sugjested 750 i think injectors,.. do you think this is Ligit? If so are RC injectors good?

New DSM TUNER

A few days ago i got my engine all put back togetther again.. a port and polish, the mechanic says that i have to up grade my injectors. :notgood: Because i have a intake, intake maifold, port and polish complete, Headers, Full exhaust. He said that i need new injectors Performance because he checked my injectors and they are running at highest imput. Do you think is is correct? I also called RC injectors and they sugjested cant spell... sugjested 750 i think injectors,.. do you think this is Ligit? If so are RC injectors good?

New DSM TUNER

The mechanic is pulling your leg, and you should have called bs, besides if that was the case make him show you your injector duty cycle.

750 nono you are not a 10 sec all motor car and your are not running boost.

+ even with all those mods your injectors should not be maxed unless poor o2 sensor, smaller injectors than stock, fuel pressure has been rasied.

theres half bad gas in it.. but the mechanic said that he filled it up with new and drained as much as he could.

And the charge for this?

na i didnt have bad gas milage and the cars been sitting for a year

Well if its been sitting this long it needs some mantiance done asap!

all i know is that the idle is a little differnt and that he said that it was my injectors. I work at a machine shop and monday im going to have my boss look at it for sure. Hes got alot of experiance. But the guy told me that if i drive it a cupple of blocks that ill fry the valves.

well with that said you may have a leaking injector, causing the car to run to much gas and leading to the one header glowing red before all others do. Yes it is posible to fry a piston from this and burn valves to. So i would pull the injectors and have them tested to see if they are in fact leaking.

At most, it sounds like you might need to yank those injectors and have them cleaned. Shouldn't run you more than $15/each for a professional cleaning. To give you an idea of just how full of shit your engine guy is, this is my mod list and I've used nothing but the stock injectors that came on the car, which have been in service for over 200,000 miles. My cams and portwork lead to the ECU running things *too rich* in the bottom end (idle - 2000rpm, imo), but I have run the engine to 8000rpm with no delivery issues whatsoever.

If your idle is off, check your timing. Chances are good your mechanic effed THAT up and is just trying to sell you some $500 injectors THAT THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL YOU NEED (you're looking at 24lbers TOPS with a fully built/tuned all motor engine) to get you to take the car and not blame him for things.

Check your timing. Replace your fuel filter. Maybe clean your injectors. Report back.

I agree with what everyone has said. &50s are to much for your car, and ask RC why the suggested 750s??? How do you plan on controlling the 750s??? U should be fine with stockers as dr1665 said, just have them cleaned and check all your other general maintenance.

Heh heh, 750's......yeah. First things first, GET A NEW MECHANIC. Re-read Drigg's post (dr1665). Have the new mechanic check the timing marks. I very, very rarely call BS but this is a classic example. Liar, liar pants on fire.

MB

So me and my friend put some injector Cleaner in it (lucus) and drained all the gas. Then we put some 92 oct gas in it. It at least idled. But it still is running rich and from the past forums. I for got to tell you the one last thing. if it makes any diff. I took the Egr Valve off and Blocked it off. This week when i get my check im going to see who does injector Cleaning. Maybe if im lucky my Work might happen to clean them. I work at a machine shop. Maybe my boss can help. But thanks every one and if you have any more info id like to hear it. Oh ya im thinking about getting a apex Fuel Control

http://www.hopupracing.com/apsuafcd.html

thanks and if you have any comments id like to hear them

new dsm tuner

So me and my friend put some injector Cleaner in it (lucus) and drained all the gas. Then we put some 92 oct gas in it. It at least idled. But it still is running rich and from the past forums. I for got to tell you the one last thing. if it makes any diff. I took the Egr Valve off and Blocked it off. This week when i get my check im going to see who does injector Cleaning. Maybe if im lucky my Work might happen to clean them. I work at a machine shop. Maybe my boss can help. But thanks every one and if you have any more info id like to hear it. Oh ya im thinking about getting a apex Fuel Control

http://www.hopupracing.com/apsuafcd.html

thanks and if you have any comments id like to hear them

new dsm tuner

bleh you do not need that, spend your money on something better. Your problem is elsewhere. If your running rich the ECU will usually pick up on it and throw a code. Pull your CEL codes and let us know what they are please.

I just checked out your mod list in your profile. If it's accurate, you've got some re-evaluation to do, man.

For starters, the OBX manifold is garbage. They almost always have to be hacked or modified to fit without sealing or throttle linkage issues. That, alone, should be reason enough to avoid them. At the same time, the increased volume of these manifolds lends itself to a forced induction situation, where a turbo would be pumping high volumes of air into the unit. Until you're boosted, that manifold serves only to reduce velocity into the combustion chambers which, as a machinist, you can appreciate.

The most effective, proven intake out there is the the Fierro-mod stocker. Eddy Fierro does a nice clean up of the stocker, gasket matches it, and then machines the injector humps down to a sort of knife edge. This has been proven to see gains in both speed and E.T. in the quarter.

Next, if you have major headwork ("Stage 3"), and don't have the cams, compression and redline to make use of it, you're doing more to reduce daily drivability than increase top end. I'd even suspect that, with all the portwork and that ridiculous intake manifold, you've dropped vacuum sufficiently that the ECU is dumping the fuel in there. If you didn't bump up compression or throw some decent cams in there, you've got a stock engine trying to breathe through a sewer pipe and it's not getting the right velocity to muster the level of vac the ECU wants to see at idle. This is my theory at this point.

Lose the OBX BSIM and seriously consider a set of more aggressive cams; Crower 2s or Crane 0016s, with new springs, lifters and rockers. Those will really wake up your portwork and make you happy.

ok well im going to do some more things like get a new intake manifold. Pluss i found that when i replaced the injectors that there wasnt any fuel pressure so i checked the fuel pump with a friend and it was working. the thing that had made my fuel pressure so bad is the fuel filter. its now running good and i belive that was the problem. but we will see im going to drive it for a while and see whats going on. i also have awsome fuel pressure now. with new iinjectors and fuel filter. that might have been what it was. as far as thos cams go. as soon as i get the money i will do them. No offence i bought a rs because its going to be a slow long prosess of making this car what i want it to be. Im going to put a forsale sighn on it and see how much i can get out of it this year. and go buy a gsx. Im pricing it kinda high but (if people wont like the price then they wont buy it.) its still a really good car and has no dents or any thing. it might be a year to god knows howlong i keep this car... eather way im going to get what i want out of it. but im going to slowly... really slowly build up the rest of the body so i can do a swap when i get the gsx.. i got 2300 saved right now.. thanks every one. i will keep you all informed. if any thing else happends
New Dsm tuner

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back