The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Turbo inlet piping size

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian_CD9A

Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2012
Winnipeg, MB_Canada
Does anyone have any experience in regards to running an intake inlet pipe that is smaller than the turbo inlet? I know it's an unusual question because it's so easy to just use a bigger intake pipe. However, I'm after an airbox solution that takes air from the Evo 123 hood, as well as behind the headlight. A company just released a WRC-style airbox with 80mm pipe coupling (3.15") that does this, but it's slightly smaller than the 3.5" inlet on my turbocharger. How adverse would it be to neck down the turbo inlet from 3.5" to 3.15"?

i wouldn't do it. you want to minimize restriction on the inlet side of the turbo as much as possible. if you want to spend the time, you can calculate the filter and intake pipe restriction, turbo pressure ratio and then check it against the compressor map for your turbo.
Which isn't that easy for most of us to do but there are calculators for all that stuff online.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back