The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Try and figure this, ignition wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
So basically im trying to hook up an evo 8 ecu in my 1991 galant vr4, got all the wiring soldered together to an extra 1g ecu plug I had. Double checked everything and all seems well. I also switched the firing order on the coils to match the Evo 8 firing order.

For whatever reason im not getting spark, for those who have done this in a 1g does the 1g CAS work with the evo 8 ecu?

BUT for my real question, I plugged back in the stock 1g ecu and started the car not even thinking about how I completely switched the firing order but the car ran and runs fine. Doesn't misfire or anything, is that normal?

To answer your "is that normal" answer;

I have actually rewired a 4 cylinder backward before and to my surprise it ran just fine. It can work, I attest in my 20 years I have accidentally wired backwards before a 4 cylinder and I remember it will start and idle just fine but, when I was doing a test drive; I felt a hesitation upon acceleration out of instinct I knew the timing was off, so I checked for codes and it threw a PO 301 which is a standard Miss-fire on #1 CYLINDER but, yet; it was wired to fire off #4 instead of firing off #1. All I did was just reverse the firing order backwards and it it did work! I can thank dyslexia for that one or maybe was MaryJ...i.d.k but; I caught my mistake because the E.C.U. noticed one particular cylinder was having trouble and I had to go to the books to find the correct firing order. This tells me that you cannot fool the E.C.U because it is looking and calculating the performance of #1 cylinder compared to the rest of the cylinders in order for timing advancement and retardation. Yes; I love that word retard because I felt like one that day wiring a simple 4 cylinder wrong but, at least I figured it out in 5 minutes. As for your first question hopefully someone can elaborate and help you out on that aspect. best of luck to yas!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back