The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Tranny problems, then stuck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VtecRex

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2004
Davidsonville, Maryland
I just wanted to get some opinions on this.

It all started at the track, I was shifting from 2nd to third, and it wouldn't catch, so I yanked it back to forth and coasted the rest for the way. After that, it was stuck in forth, all the way home, no matter where I tried to put the shifter, it was still in forth. The shifter feels like it is doing nothing. After I got it home, my parents made me move it, since I had no reverse, I just pushed it back to where I had to move it to. A couple weeks later, I tried to move it back, and it is stuck. Wont move in either direction. Every time I let the clutch out it stalls.

So I am thinking it has to be a broken shift fork, then the peices got stuck in the tranny?

That sounds about right.
Save up some money and get it rebuilt so it lasts you for a long time.
How many miles are on it?

When you get a chance, drain your tranny fluid and strain it through a coffe filter, check for any pieces of metal.

167,000 miles, over 350hp daily, and 1.59 60's.... its seen better days. Ill drain the fluid tomarrow.

What a small world. I was on my way home from work and mine got stuck in 4th.
Here is my story. I had trouble getting it into 1st gear and it would grind going into 2nd. 3rd and 4th seemed ok, but today I started to have trouble getting it into 5th. The darn thing just didn't like to go into 5th at all. I then seemed to lose 3rd gear for some reason. I found myself then stuck in 4th gear on the way home. I had a hard time and ran 2 stop signs doing it, but I got it home. I had to shut the car off so I could back it up and fit it into the garage. Now this is strange, the gears some how seem to be back. Could I have a broken shift fork like you do? Another thing is that 1st and 2nd gear seem to be bound up in the thing. The car will not move in either, but will in 3rd and up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back