The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Torque converter lock up question for 2g owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
ok 2g owners :) I am wanting to add the torque converter lock up control to the shift boxes that I currently sell, but I need some advice. I have done my research on how it works, but with the size of the box, I am limited on what I can add for now. What I need to know is how should it be set up? Should it be like a 5th gear and only activated after shifting from 4th gear? What I have learned about it is that it activates while at steady cruising speeds and deactivates when the brake is pressed or when accelerating. Let me know so I can add this feature soon :)

Does your shift box send an increase line pressure, if so having the lock up clutch activated while downshift would be pretty extreme. I think that the lock up clutch should only be used in fourth gear or somehow used in other gears but deactivates while downshifting.

thanks for your reply :) The box does shift at 100% line pressure so downshifting with the transmission locked to the motor would definitely be a bad thing. I can set it to deactivate when downshifting :) What about for upshifting? Does the lockup control only activate in 3rd and OD? I was thinking of making it to where the user can hold the upshift button down for 2 seconds and it would activate the lock up control. Do you think that will work?

In my opinion, I don't think having the lock up enabled while shifting is a very good idea. Who knows how much beating the lock up clutch can take. If somehow you can create the lock up clutch be enabled while driving in any gear(minus 1st gear) but gets disabled for a spit second while up/downshifting, that would be fantastic. However it does sound complicated. Maybe it's something to look into.

ok, no problem. I will work on that and see what I can come up with.

What I am going to try and do is have it set up to activate the lock up when the upshift button is held for 2 seconds on 3rd and 4th gear. I don't think it will be needed on 2nd gear or lower. When upshifting or downshifting, the lockup will deactivate if active and then shift.

Does that sound ok?

ok, no problem. I will work on that and see what I can come up with.

What I am going to try and do is have it set up to activate the lock up when the upshift button is held for 2 seconds on 3rd and 4th gear. I don't think it will be needed on 2nd gear or lower. When upshifting or downshifting, the lockup will deactivate if active and then shift.

Does that sound ok?

That would be the way to go. In all reality the lockup is only good for cruising steadily in 3rd or 4th. It really shouldnt be used for much else. I tried using it at the track once and it didnt help.

Can you incorporate a map sensor to release the lock up? say about 5 or 10 psi of boost. and after fourth gear. the lock up was designed for economy. i can't see the need at lower gears.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back