The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Converter lock-up kill switch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9D9 MITSU RS

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 22, 2002
Lexington, North_Carolina
I used to have a link for the converter lock-up kill switch. Does anyone have a new 1? I had it bookmarked, but it is gone now. I am buying a tranny cooler and I want to try this mod out. Anyone got the info?

Has anyone tried this mod. Does it really effect the performance of the car in the 1/4 mile? Ive never heard of it and would like more information. Thanks

I just did this. You can see the RPMs come out of lockup. The car feels a little more responsive. Also, with the lockup off, for some reason it revs higher. 1st gear went way up and shifted so hard. I need motor mount inserts though, so it's probably not even as good as it should be. I used to be able to chirp 2nd. As hard as it shifted, I think it'll be effortless to do it now. Like I said, I'll know when my inserts get here. Def. seems like a decent mod. (Helps some, I'm sure) It takes only about 5 minutes if you have all the tools and wiring stuff. :thumb:

What does the brake light switch have to do with the torque converter? I dont think its a good idea to unhook the brake light wires? If anyone knows how this mod works please clue us in.

The write-up I posted earlier on says to cut the wire on the brake light switch. For some reason, it has something to do with the converter lockup. On autos (95-99), if your overdrive goes out, it's usually the reverse light fuse. That doesn't really seem like it would be related, but it is. I did this mod. It works. I checked my brake lights with the switch both ways, and the brake lights still work. The black wire most likely has nothing to do with the brake lights.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back