The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

TOB Rubber Boot/Cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passnu2

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Picked up a used 1g GSX for my son and doing a complete rehaul on everything. Have the motor torn apart and last nite while cleaning out the engine bay and inspecting things I noticed the rubber cover for the Arm/Link (at the trans case) to the TOB is missing. I have never kept a car long enough to do any trans work myself or replace a TOB. I had no issues when I drove it home but the night we looked at it I could hear it but haven't heard it since.

I'm wondering if I need to worry about any damage internally or if it should be ok? Can I just slap a new rubber boot on and be ok or do I have to fully tear this thing down and worry about internal damage now? Hoping someone here has taken one apart or has enough knowledge that can help me out.

This is a pic I found in another thread but on the outside of the case where the arm/link comes thru is the area I am describing.

Thanks for the help:thumb:

Attachments

• 2012-09-13 10.16.30.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 84
Thats just a dust boot to keep water and dirt from getting inside by the clutch. installing a new one should be good. what I would recommend is getting a new throwout bearing but get it from the mitsubishi dealer. It will cost about $45 but its the best one you can get and will last. Also when you remove the throwout bearing look at the output shaft that the bearing rides on. you want it to be smooth. since its aluminum it will wear and gouge from the bearing riding on it. take some sand paper and go over it and make it smooth and then make sure to apply light grease to it before installing the new bearing. also make sure to looke around the bottom of that shaft to see if you notice any cracks, you really shouldn't but its a thin aluminum there. I hope that helps cause I just had my trans rebuild and went through all this. if you need a guy to do any tranny work for you I recommend Ian in Glen Ellyn, he did a outstanding job and can do any level of work for a great price. Let me know if you need his info.

Thats just a dust boot to keep water and dirt from getting inside by the clutch. installing a new one should be good. what I would recommend is getting a new throwout bearing but get it from the mitsubishi dealer. It will cost about $45 but its the best one you can get and will last. Also when you remove the throwout bearing look at the output shaft that the bearing rides on. you want it to be smooth. since its aluminum it will wear and gouge from the bearing riding on it. take some sand paper and go over it and make it smooth and then make sure to apply light grease to it before installing the new bearing. also make sure to looke around the bottom of that shaft to see if you notice any cracks, you really shouldn't but its a thin aluminum there. I hope that helps cause I just had my trans rebuild and went through all this. if you need a guy to do any tranny work for you I recommend Ian in Glen Ellyn, he did a outstanding job and can do any level of work for a great price. Let me know if you need his info.

Thanks for the detailed reply:thumb: If you can PM or post the contact info I will most likely do this. I have it torn down where I could get a lift and pull the motor but then storing it would be a pain. I also replied to your reply in my other thread. I can possibly come this weekend if your around. PM me to exchange numbers and work out what time/day works best for you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back