The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Throttle Sticks for 1/2 second after letting off gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunernewb92

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2008
North Canton, Ohio
Ok, so I have a 92 talon tsi awd. The throttle will stick open after you let off the gas for literally a half of a second to a second. If I manually rev the car from under the hood, it still does the same thing. A friend told me it could be my TPS, and I think that it may be the cable be to loose. Can anybody shed any light on this? If it was the TPS or the cable, how would I tighten it or how would I check the TPS?
Thanks,

Have you ever cleaned the the inside of your throttle body? Take the throttle body elbow off and spray some throttle body cleaner (available at auto stores) in it and wipe it clean. Turn the throttle plate bracket with your hand so you can clean it completely.

WD40 FTW. save some time and effort and try this before you get more in depth. start small then work to more complicated answers.

Have you ever cleaned the the inside of your throttle body? Take the throttle body elbow off and spray some throttle body cleaner (available at auto stores) in it and wipe it clean. Turn the throttle plate bracket with your hand so you can clean it completely.

TB was cleaned by the co-owner of the car. Its a track car so we share expenses. I don't remember this problem before he cleaned the TB, but it hasn't been the most reliable car until now so I might not have really noticed it. At any rate the TB has been taken off the car which means that the throttle cable was also disconnected. Could the cable have possibly loosend from the reconnect?

im currently thinking i need to do this..
what do i have to watch for or not spray?

With DSM's! Where do I start...

Fuse box, alternator, sparkplugs & coil, I would also recommend staying away from electrical components.. since there are a lot this is why I try to never pressure wash these engines.

IMO if you are already experiencing any kind of electrical problems just don't do it.

I fortunately had no problems.... I also did it at home just in case it didn't want to turn on afterwards... good luck

:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back