The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Thought it was missing link... but i guess not

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White97eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 20, 2005
puyallup, Washington
Ok, so i thought it was the missing link, but for some reason, the 420a t is running REALLY bad. When it is idling, it feels like the engine is going to jump out of the engine bay, then, if you are wot, after you let off, the car dies. And it takes up about a quarter tank a mile ..... any ideas? maybe sfmu? a sensor?

Sounds likes its running poorly even when it's not in boost... correct? If that's the case, its probably nothing to do with the turbo system since all of that stuff is pretty much "stand alone." Check the oxygen sensor maybe. Also, see if the ECU is throwing any codes.

I agree, check the front o2 sensor, is your car warming up right? I've noticed a few members complain about their thermostat taking a dump on them lately. If so(and you have a fail-open) the could also cause the bad gas milage.

Hey thanks for the info guys, ima check all that out this weekend and ill post results. hopefully this works!

sounds like your eating up more fuel then just what would be from a bad o2 sensor. I would check your fuel pressure, or remove whatever you have that bumps the fuel pressure up and dont boost during the test. Check your plugs for fouling, I suspect they will need to be replaced. I bet your engine is missfiring a lot because the plugs are fouled and your running hella rich.

Well, it cant be the plugs or the wires because he just replaced those last weekend. Checkin out the problems tomorrow.

White97eclipse said:
Well, it cant be the plugs or the wires because he just replaced those last weekend. Checkin out the problems tomorrow.

Of coarse the plugs are not the main problem but if he is running as rich as it sounds like he is, they will re-foul and will cause the car to run worse. Adding to the stalling and chugging problem.

Hey guys thanks a lot for all the help. The car was running terrible, the o2 sensor wasnt the problem, then, we noticed the missing link was making this HUGE hissing sound. So we unplug the MAP and all the sudden it smooths out! not perfectly smooth, but WAY better than what it was. Going to replace his sensor tomorrow and hopefully all will be well from there!

White97eclipse said:
Hey guys thanks a lot for all the help. The car was running terrible, the o2 sensor wasnt the problem, then, we noticed the missing link was making this HUGE hissing sound. So we unplug the MAP and all the sudden it smooths out! not perfectly smooth, but WAY better than what it was. Going to replace his sensor tomorrow and hopefully all will be well from there!
might want to just put a filter in the missing link where it belongs :thumb:

where do you mean put the filter? the missing link is brand new and installed right out of the box?

White97eclipse said:
where do you mean put the filter? the missing link is brand new and installed right out of the box?
did the box come with instructions????????? your problem is you have a vac leak. there is a round filter that goes into the hole in the missing link that is making all that noise. if you lost the filter you can use foam from like your back seat or something like that.

See, thats wierd because this is the second missing link he has had on his car and the other one didnt have a filter either. Do you have a pic of a missing link with the filter?

White97eclipse said:
See, thats wierd because this is the second missing link he has had on his car and the other one didnt have a filter either. Do you have a pic of a missing link with the filter?

Yeah, the older missing links didnt have any sort of filter, or a hole in the side at all for that matter IIRC. Ill have to see if I can scrounge a pic up of old vs new.

White97eclipse said:
mine has a filter. i lost it so i cut out a piece of foam and it works great. put your finger over the hole at idle and see if the car runs better.

Has anyone been able to get a picture for me of the filter in the ML?

Ive only been able to find pics of the new ML. You cant really miss the hole in the side of the thing though. Take some cotton from a (unsmoked) cigarette filter and stuff in there, and dont worry about it anymore. :cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back