The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

The timing curve thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selmerguy

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2004
Killeen, Texas
I am alittle confused on timing and what a good curve looks like on a FI motor. I have heard things like run as much as you can untill you knock or to have a nice curve starting at 10 degrees at 2000rpm and gradually work your way up to 20 at redline. Now thinking about it the faster your rpm the more advance you would want right. Well what do yu guys think a cood timing curve for our cars looks like. I mean one that makes power!

From everything I have read what you said is true.

You want a nice starting point with no retard throughout the pull, only further advancement.

The rate of Timing Advancement is knock/detonation dependant...if the knock sensor detects ANY it holds or pulls timing.

1G's have a pretty aggressive timing map stock and will give up to 21* (That I can eye witness account too) advance timing with little/zero knock.

With that said....run the octane of fuel that will combat the knock/detonation that you are incountering.

VP C16 :rocks:

2G's are equally agressive but are limited to less Max Timing Advance (15/16* max advance)

DSMlink enables custom timing map tweaking...:thumb:

Here is a curve that will make some power!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It would be cool to get numbers in this thread. Like how much timing at 3000, 4000, ect... do you want to start at 10 degrees at 3 grand of 15? Stuff like that.

Why? Any timing numbers out of boost are irrelevant to peak performance. Do you go WOT below 4000 rpm?

Timing should dip back to 10-13 degrees intially as boost "hits" and steadily climb to Timing Peak (16-21 degrees) without hiccup/retard throughout the Boost/RPM band.

If you want to see real graphs or numbers.....Get DSMlink.

There is no MAGIC Tuning/Timing Plot...each Car/Engine is different.

I'll enforce you to search in the future by keeping my mouth shut on your threads or you can take others advice since my efforts were of no use to you.

Why? Any timing numbers out of boost are irrelevant to peak performance. Do you go WOT below 4000 rpm?

Timing should dip back to 10-13 degrees intially as boost "hits" and steadily climb to Timing Peak (16-21 degrees) without hiccup/retard throughout the Boost/RPM band.

If you want to see real graphs or numbers.....Get DSMlink.

There is no MAGIC Tuning/Timing Plot...each Car/Engine is different.

I'll enforce you to search in the future by keeping my mouth shut on your threads or you can take others advice since my efforts were of no use to you.

I wouldnt want dsm link if it was free. But I do appriciate your info. And your second post was very helpful and reenforced what I thought was true about timing. Thanks you.

Sam

I see all of your points(above) that timing will be different with each application. But, what would be really helpful is to know some general numbers about how the ecu controls timing.
For instance: I have read somewhere on here that the 2g timing curve will start at 10 @5k rpm(on the highest performance fuel map) and advance from there. This would be helpful to know when looking at your graphs and thinking "i wonder why my timing is so low.. at 2k rpm..."

I also know that timing will get pulled back from about 3300rpm to 3800rpm on a 2g to combat the instant power rush of the turboed engine.

Basically, what else would people find helpful when looking at timing curves.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back